• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What tech are/have you put time into researching/learning recently?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What tech are/have you put time into researching/learning recently?

I'm pretty lax at actively putting time into self-training and keeping current; generally because I've been fortunate (and perhaps to a degree smart) enough to get contracts that involve learning new stuff on the job... originally a C++ dev I moved into Java and C#, picked up some web-dev (now out-dated as pre-HTML5), did a chunk of work in Flex/AS3, etc.

How much time do other tech-contractors put aside into self-improvement and how do you do it? Buy books and just hack about for fun? Find an OSS project and get involved? Do courses?

I was taking stock the other day and realised that since I don't do web-dev, I'm slowly painting myself into a corner as a C++/C# desktop/server developer. I know C# and Java but not all the Java frameworks everyone uses (not even sure what's in vogue these days). I know JS but not HTML5 or nodeJS.

What things have other people picked up recently?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Switching over to using Power BI and gaining R next.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      I'm pretty lax at actively putting time into self-training and keeping current; generally because I've been fortunate (and perhaps to a degree smart) enough to get contracts that involve learning new stuff on the job... originally a C++ dev I moved into Java and C#, picked up some web-dev (now out-dated as pre-HTML5), did a chunk of work in Flex/AS3, etc.

How much time do other tech-contractors put aside into self-improvement and how do you do it? Buy books and just hack about for fun? Find an OSS project and get involved? Do courses?

I was taking stock the other day and realised that since I don't do web-dev, I'm slowly painting myself into a corner as a C++/C# desktop/server developer. I know C# and Java but not all the Java frameworks everyone uses (not even sure what's in vogue these days). I know JS but not HTML5 or nodeJS.

What things have other people picked up recently?
      I've got a Pluralsight subscription, so I generally watch those on my train journey commute, so about 4 hours a week. If it's something particularly interesting, I'll watch some more at home. I'm a front end dev, with a good knowledge of HTML, CSS and JavaScript. So I just try to keep up with all the libraries and have a good base knowledge of the libraries like Angular and React. Depends what is being used at ClientCo too. Last thing I watched on Pluralsight was about RequireJS, as client has recently decided to implement it. I've also got a sitepoint premium account, so download their books as soon as they come out and will have a read of them on downtime.

All in though, I probably spend about 8 hours a week actually learning, and another few hours just reading articles / techie forums etc. But then I have a plan B that I am working on too, so will do exploratory works for that which is a type of learning.

Comment

A mix of Pluralsight and dabbling with different tech at home. Learning new languages and refreshing old, usually about 4 hours a week

Comment

Originally posted by doconline View Post
          All in though, I probably spend about 8 hours a week actually learning, and another few hours just reading articles / techie forums etc.
          Seems pretty good to me. What sites/forums do you read?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Blockchain.

Loads of mugs paying good money for 'experts' in this latest craze. Same bunch of idiots that thought XML was the best new technology to solve all their IT problems.

Probably get a grand a day plus for bulltulipting them. You can bulltulip a bulltulipter.
            Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Bit different to the theme here but in the small couple of weeks gap from perm to contracting I smashed through some AWS courses and exams (solutions architect etc.) as I was a bit weak on cloud implementations.

Although it's been years since I was on the tools (have been a PM for many a year) I like to keep up to date on technologies so that I don't get hoodwinked by techies rubbing their chins much like mechanics when asked "how much and how long?".

Still keep abreast of the developments in AWS but as it's evolving so quick it can be a challenge!

Comment

I’m doing the last exam for MCSE Mobility. Very strange cert title as it’s all about deploying Operating Systems and Apps via SCCM/MDT.

Comment

VHDL, VERILOG and FPGA development in general.
                  Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

A DVD player

Comment

Working...
                    X