• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What tech are/have you put time into researching/learning recently?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I work in the Cyber Security industry but have always worked on the Blue Team. I have a home lab set up to do some Red Team/PenTest stuff and develop my understanding in that area, it also helps to develop detection capabilities in the Blue Team.

I plan on getting some AWS security/architecture courses under my belt in the coming weeks.

How much time are people spending on personal development in order to strengthen their chances of winning contract work?

Cheers.

Comment

I actually have an undergraduate degree in IT. I was aiming to go to my local community college for an AAS in IT and pursue CompTIA A+ as well since some of the credits from the AAS can apply to the certification. I know it's technically not required to have an AAS before getting a post-grad cert, but I'd really value the additional education and the degree might help with getting an entry-level job quicker (APKNite is also giving me an offer). My long-term goal would be to complete a BS in IT and possibly focus more on network administration and disaster recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
        "FORTRAN"

gosh, I tinkered with Fortran over 40 years ago.
        I first tinkered with it in 1972 typing very slowly on an ASR33 connected to a Modular One computer.

After the very limited success of that, I tinkered with it for 8 years after 1979 for the want of a C compiler on the General Automation box in question.

Though RATFOR might have been an option.

My most recent learning involves how to dig up the roots of bushes when they'be been there 25 years or more.

Turns out it's hard work.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesTWW View Post
          I actually have an undergraduate degree in IT. I was aiming to go to my local community college for an AAS in IT and pursue CompTIA A+ as well since some of the credits from the AAS can apply to the certification. I know it's technically not required to have an AAS before getting a post-grad cert, but I'd really value the additional education and the degree might help with getting an entry-level job quicker (APKNite is also giving me an offer). My long-term goal would be to complete a BS in IT and possibly focus more on network administration and disaster recovery.
          Do you really need degree for entry level IT jobs nowadays? It's definitely not worth the paper it's printed on for senior roles, as experience trumps degree.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesTWW View Post
            The Wiki definition of an undergraduate degree looks a little confusing to me. Can you explain in simple terms what it means?

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
              The Wiki definition of an undergraduate degree looks a little confusing to me. Can you explain in simple terms what it means?
              LMGTFY
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X