• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What tech are/have you put time into researching/learning recently?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi

My main skills are in multi-dimensional databases and data warehousing. My current contract requires primarily IBM Cognos TM1 skills, but I also develop using MDX, Excel, VBA, MS SQL Server, SSIS, DOS Batch, Powershell, C#, ASP.NET and HTML

I am interested in Web Development. I looked at AngularJS, and ReactJS, but found they were too much of a strait jacket. I am looking at VueJS, which has apparently been benchmarked to run faster than React and can be used alongside other JavaScript libraries. I am also looking at NodeJS at the backend. I can't say that I like JavaScript as a language but if you want to do web development it is the only thing that runs natively on most browsers. In my view, if you need to learn it for the front-end you might as well use it for the backend, hence NodeJS. I am warming to JavaScript a little now. They seem to be providing alternatives to its original wrinkles, although I wish they had got it right in the first place.

I have developed in Java in the past but while I liked the original concept I got disenchanted with the vast number of different frameworks and approaches, and people who talk about design patterns, but forget about user requirements. That can happen in any language but it just seems more prevalent in the Java area.

I read books on the train and do some development in my own time.

Obviously the downside of paying for training courses is the loss of fees while you are taking them and the cost of the course.

I did pay for a training course once but found that it wasn't really worth it, as I would have got just as far by studying for a week myself. As it turned out I never used what I learnt anyway.

In practice, if you are going to learn something new, I would say make it only a little away from what you are currently doing so that you can use it in your current contract. I doubt that anyone is going to take on a contractor who has just done a course in X, even if they have years of experience in Y. That is just the nature of contracting.

Regards

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
      So far as I'm aware they don't put Holley 4 barrel carbs on motorcycles.

You really need to be a Zen Master to tune one of those feckers, crap that they are.

Anyone want to buy a 390cfm?

One careful owner.

Never raced nor rallied.

Bring carb icing to a car near you. <- what you'll do when the damn thing spits flame and you're attempting to set the float levels.
      Balancing 2 twin choke Webers is my worst car experience, but four keihins can be fun, too.............

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
        Balancing 2 twin choke Webers is my worst car experience, but four keihins can be fun, too.............
        Didn't the V12 E type have 6?***

I was reading around, as you do, about the Holley abortion which was designed, more or less, for the Rover V8 at 3.5L.

Sticking it on a 3L Essex was "interesting" in my experience.

But I found one lune who was talking about putting one on a 2L Pinto engine (yes you can or could get a manifold for that).

I'd love to know how well it worked being far too big for the engine*.

Twin 40s were regarding as reasonable, while the wilder Twin 45s were for the real nutjobs****.

*Another option used to be taking off the 28/32 Weber & putting on a 38DGAS off a 3L Essex.

Sadly I suspect doing so would ruin whatever flexibility the 28/32 gave since both butterflies open at the same time on the 38DGAS.

Worst thing I ever did to a car was putting that POS Holley on it.

*** No it doesn't, it has 4 Strombergs. Well I never did. The 6 x Weber carbs is a modification.

**** Then again: 2x 48IDF
        http://www.mattlewisracing.co.uk/pro...arb_conversion
        I'll bet that pulls well below 4000 rpm.

Stone me you can still get a holley kit for the 2L pinto:

http://racerwalsh.com/product/2-0-4bbl-intakecarb-kit/
        Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 30 August 2018, 07:58.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

I'm researching Blazor (cause it's new) and Azure. Also, putting some time into MySQL because of client work.

Comment

Azure, specifically: IoT Hub, CosmosDB, Serverless Code (Azure Functions), Service bus, Active Directory, Blob Storage, Web API hosting and Logic App's.
            Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Machine Learning AI.

For extra win incorporate blockchain to record hard rules once the statistical analysis proves the rule is a keeper. It's how AI will come to have its own DNA. Loads of money will be made selling licensed access to the DNA blockchain created for each specific use case.

Check out this news report for inspiration. I've always wanted an AI capable cooker for roasting a chicken.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0..._2018_roundup/

I look forward to the day I'll be able to have arguments with something that has an off switch. AI for Dummies isn't just a book.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Wordpress.

Might not be new tech, but it means that my company can do work for small businesses that want their sites updated from Frontpage, Dreamweaver and Flash. It's also work that can be done in a hotel room when I'm tired of working for a main client.
                It will never pay the bills for me, but it might pay for the odd toy.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                  Machine Learning AI.

For extra win incorporate blockchain to record hard rules once the statistical analysis proves the rule is a keeper. It's how AI will come to have its own DNA. Loads of money will be made selling licensed access to the DNA blockchain created for each specific use case.

Check out this news report for inspiration. I've always wanted an AI capable cooker for roasting a chicken.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0..._2018_roundup/

I look forward to the day I'll be able to have arguments with something that has an off switch. AI for Dummies isn't just a book.

Are you mad?

Cautionary video:

When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Whilst me consulting in a niche network services space has kept me busy for a long while, I have started looking at branching out and adding something else to my CV, just in case.

Been looking at Azure - I've been tinkering with it recently and a quick look on jobserve shows a decent number of roles. I'm sure I'll be a preferred candidate once I've studied an Udemy course and got the 70-535 exam nailed

Comment

Also, having "watched" the Apple Watch 4 release yesterday, I think I'm about to develop my first IOS app

Comment

Working...
                      X