What tech are/have you put time into researching/learning recently? What tech are/have you put time into researching/learning recently?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 44
  1. #1

    My post count is Majestic

    d000hg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    My house
    Posts
    31,971

    Default What tech are/have you put time into researching/learning recently?

    I'm pretty lax at actively putting time into self-training and keeping current; generally because I've been fortunate (and perhaps to a degree smart) enough to get contracts that involve learning new stuff on the job... originally a C++ dev I moved into Java and C#, picked up some web-dev (now out-dated as pre-HTML5), did a chunk of work in Flex/AS3, etc.

    How much time do other tech-contractors put aside into self-improvement and how do you do it? Buy books and just hack about for fun? Find an OSS project and get involved? Do courses?

    I was taking stock the other day and realised that since I don't do web-dev, I'm slowly painting myself into a corner as a C++/C# desktop/server developer. I know C# and Java but not all the Java frameworks everyone uses (not even sure what's in vogue these days). I know JS but not HTML5 or nodeJS.

    What things have other people picked up recently?
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

  2. #2

    Double Godlike!


    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Work-life balance nirvana
    Posts
    10,106

    Default

    Switching over to using Power BI and gaining R next.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

  3. #3

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post
    I'm pretty lax at actively putting time into self-training and keeping current; generally because I've been fortunate (and perhaps to a degree smart) enough to get contracts that involve learning new stuff on the job... originally a C++ dev I moved into Java and C#, picked up some web-dev (now out-dated as pre-HTML5), did a chunk of work in Flex/AS3, etc.

    How much time do other tech-contractors put aside into self-improvement and how do you do it? Buy books and just hack about for fun? Find an OSS project and get involved? Do courses?

    I was taking stock the other day and realised that since I don't do web-dev, I'm slowly painting myself into a corner as a C++/C# desktop/server developer. I know C# and Java but not all the Java frameworks everyone uses (not even sure what's in vogue these days). I know JS but not HTML5 or nodeJS.

    What things have other people picked up recently?
    I've got a Pluralsight subscription, so I generally watch those on my train journey commute, so about 4 hours a week. If it's something particularly interesting, I'll watch some more at home. I'm a front end dev, with a good knowledge of HTML, CSS and JavaScript. So I just try to keep up with all the libraries and have a good base knowledge of the libraries like Angular and React. Depends what is being used at ClientCo too. Last thing I watched on Pluralsight was about RequireJS, as client has recently decided to implement it. I've also got a sitepoint premium account, so download their books as soon as they come out and will have a read of them on downtime.

    All in though, I probably spend about 8 hours a week actually learning, and another few hours just reading articles / techie forums etc. But then I have a plan B that I am working on too, so will do exploratory works for that which is a type of learning.

  4. #4

    Nervous Newbie

    Laughing Gravy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    16

    Default

    A mix of Pluralsight and dabbling with different tech at home. Learning new languages and refreshing old, usually about 4 hours a week

  5. #5

    My post count is Majestic

    d000hg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    My house
    Posts
    31,971

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doconline View Post
    All in though, I probably spend about 8 hours a week actually learning, and another few hours just reading articles / techie forums etc.
    Seems pretty good to me. What sites/forums do you read?
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

  6. #6

    Super poster

    Hobosapien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    LA - la la fantasy land
    Posts
    2,460

    Default

    Blockchain.

    Loads of mugs paying good money for 'experts' in this latest craze. Same bunch of idiots that thought XML was the best new technology to solve all their IT problems.

    Probably get a grand a day plus for bulltulipting them. You can bulltulip a bulltulipter.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

  7. #7

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Bit different to the theme here but in the small couple of weeks gap from perm to contracting I smashed through some AWS courses and exams (solutions architect etc.) as I was a bit weak on cloud implementations.

    Although it's been years since I was on the tools (have been a PM for many a year) I like to keep up to date on technologies so that I don't get hoodwinked by techies rubbing their chins much like mechanics when asked "how much and how long?".

    Still keep abreast of the developments in AWS but as it's evolving so quick it can be a challenge!

  8. #8

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    12

    Default

    I’m doing the last exam for MCSE Mobility. Very strange cert title as it’s all about deploying Operating Systems and Apps via SCCM/MDT.

  9. #9

    Super poster

    Zigenare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    2,406

    Default

    VHDL, VERILOG and FPGA development in general.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg
    Given that you refuse to work for Jews, because you believe that they are only out for themselves and that they see gentiles as just there to be used, WGAS what you think.
    You do me old chum, obviously

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg View Post
    Churchy says that May Day is a Zionist Occupation Government conspiracy.

  10. #10

    Fingers like lightning

    PhiltheGreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Balmoral
    Posts
    871

    Default

    A DVD player

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •