• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best domain registrar?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best domain registrar?

Figure plenty here must have domains for PlanB or side projects - who do you use and why?

It's for a potential business so we looked at GSuite for simplicity with email, but probably Office will be required making 365 a better bet - could still buy domains from Google, otherwise I used GoDaddy before. Other than price, does it really make much difference? A website will be needed later but for now it's just grabbing the domain and having official email addresses - what does a registrar DO to differentiate themself if you're not using them for email or hosting?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

I use 1&1, I know that many people have had bad experiences with them, but I've got at least half a dozen domains registered with them, either just for email or as websites as well.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I use Xilo for my business and personal stuff. Wrapped up with my hosting package (£40 a year) with loads of features / MySQL etc.

Personal mail with gmail, work with O365 - websites on Xilo. Been with them years..very responsive.

Comment

I’ve used 123-reg for over a decade with no issues. I’ve only used them for domain registration & DNS. If I need e-mail then Office365 / Google Suite is a good complement. If I decide to change e-mail provider then I’m not locked into a vendor.

Comment

Originally posted by rocketjet View Post
          I’ve used 123-reg for over a decade with no issues. I’ve only used them for domain registration & DNS. If I need e-mail then Office365 / Google Suite is a good complement. If I decide to change e-mail provider then I’m not locked into a vendor.
          Same here 123-reg for at least 10 years now. And I have used them with GSuite and O365 without problems

Comment

Originally posted by chineseJohn View Post
            Same here 123-reg for at least 10 years now. And I have used them with GSuite and O365 without problems
            Same on all counts - been using 123 since the 90's. No drama, never considered anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              I use 1&1, I know that many people have had bad experiences with them, but I've got at least half a dozen domains registered with them, either just for email or as websites as well.
              I have used 1&1 but found some technical limitations.
              For a start they called an A record a subdomain.....
              And only let you create 5.

Of course that’s the DNS hosting part. As a pure registrar they’re fine.

I use 123 nowadays.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Yeah, I think the top companies all have similar packages, but I've looked at 1&1 for registering domains and it seems good. The main issue I've been finding when I want a domain is that someone else has already snapped it up Seems like you either have to buy one already registered or get VERY creative with your domain name. As you've mentioned 1&1, I've read a guide from its site about buying a domain that's already registered: https://www.1and1.co.uk/digitalguide...red-what-next/
                You really just have to wonder if the price is worth it, and if it is, try to haggle as much as possible, much like any deal I guess. Has anyone registered domains with the intent to sell? Or even bought one from someone else?

Comment

Originally posted by pink View Post
                  Has anyone registered domains with the intent to sell? Or even bought one from someone else?
                  Where were you in 2001???

It's called parking. And nobody bothers anymore.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                  X