• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My radiator bleeding skills are not enough....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My radiator bleeding skills are not enough....

So I've bled the radiators to within an inch of their life but still irks me that some get hot much faster than others and from the top down etc so I'm considering having one of these power flushes down. They quote 300-600 for the job.

Anyone had this done recently and did it work. I am assuming when they say power flush it isn't at higher pressures that could affect the joints etc?

What would FLC do in my situation?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

If they are all getting hot at the top, no bleeding is necessary.
    What you might find is that your system needs balancing. Have you adjusted the outlet valves on any of your rads?

There's a few guys on benches round here who could help. I'm happy to represent them to you for a mere 50%
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Had our heating system power-flushed a few years ago and so much sludge (mostly rust) came out that they ended up running it twice as the cleaning magnet got so full.

The biggest improvement is that the house heats up a lot faster as the radiators get warmer much quicker. I didn't have the hot-at-top but cold-at-bottom issue you describe, but would recommend getting the system cleaned out.

I have no idea what pressure they used (combi boilers are a pressurised system anyway and usually rated up to 3 bar working pressure). We didn't have any leaks afterwards.

Addendum: we later found out that the previous owners were too cheap to solder most of the joints so used compression fit joints for some new radiators they had had installed. Given these are 25+ years old mechanical fittings that were inaccessible under the floorboards, a leak during a sludge-clearing power flush would have been highly undesirable!

Comment

Originally posted by fibio View Post

Addendum: we later found out that the previous owners were too cheap to solder most of the joints so used compression fit joints for some new radiators they had had installed. Given these are 25+ years old mechanical fittings that were inaccessible under the floorboards, a leak during a sludge-clearing power flush would have been highly undesirable!
        Ours is a recent renovation (in the last 8 years) and everything is push fit and plastic piping. I'm just not convinced with the push fit marlarky which is the worry. Guess it must do the job as it seems to be that standard nowadays. I'm just too old school to think pushing something on beats sweating away with compression and soldering joints.

I think for peace of mind if nothing else I'll give it a go.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          If they are all getting hot at the top, no bleeding is necessary.
          What you might find is that your system needs balancing. Have you adjusted the outlet valves on any of your rads?
          To be fair I've tried to avoid that. Haven't adjusted them since we moved in and I checked everything was OK. We've quite a few radiators over a longish distance so something I didn't really want to get in to. That was 3rd on my list after bleeding and flushing to be honest.

Comment

I'm just too old school to think pushing something on beats sweating away with compression and soldering joints
            Heard same comment from competent plumbers.

Got hot air heating meself. Beats me why this is out of fashion in the UK. Heats the house very quickly and is highly efficient.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              So I've bled the radiators to within an inch of their life but still irks me that some get hot much faster than others and from the top down etc so I'm considering having one of these power flushes down. They quote 300-600 for the job.

Anyone had this done recently and did it work. I am assuming when they say power flush it isn't at higher pressures that could affect the joints etc?

Have you asked your accountant?

Comment

The power flush we had done about 10 years ago was the best value I have ever had from a plumber. It completely changed the house from never getting warm to having to turn the heating off. The radiators were quite old though so if yours are new then it might not have the same effect for you.
                England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

You are a contractor - just pay a plumber to replace the radiators - modern ones are so much more efficient.

Comment

600 quid for a flush!? You'd be better off putting new radiators in instead of the ones that do not get hot then adding some inhibitor,

A flush does not get rid of all the crap in the system, it just gets rid of that near the outlet, distributes more of the remaining crap into the other radiators and probably gums up your pump. Not for me, Jeff.

Comment

Working...
                    X