• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

‘Dog food’ software development.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    When job ads started asking for software engineers probably. Although programmer != Software engineer. Developer is closer. Programmers spend their time writing code and are happy. Developers spend their time wishing they were writing code.
    i was happier as a systems programmer, rather than a 'enterprise systems infrastructure engineer' i have to say

Comment

Isn't dog-fooding the principle that if your developers are forced to use the software, they will realise it's crap and fix it? That's a great thing to do because not only are they motivated to fix things for their own benefit but they are forced to understand the software in real world usage not just develop the bit they are assigned with no idea how it relates to the product.

Or is this a different thing with a very similar name?

Nope. If the system is a hodgepodge of successive 'improvements' over the course of years, the developers create their own front or back doors and leave the crappy public UI for the rest of the users to suffer with.

Besides, there's more money in not fixing all the problems. Software houses make more money on the perpetual support contracts than improving their software.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

I was happiest hacking tulip together in FORTRAN and assembler.

Dear dead days beyond recall.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
          Nope. If the system is a hodgepodge of successive 'improvements' over the course of years, the developers create their own front or back doors and leave the crappy public UI for the rest of the users to suffer with.

Besides, there's more money in not fixing all the problems. Software houses make more money on the perpetual support contracts than improving their software.
          You must have experience of some tulipty software houses.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
            I was happiest hacking tulip together in FORTRAN and assembler.

Dear dead days beyond recall.
            I started in an engineering research lab, with Algol and Fortran. - BAL came later

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post

Sorry, I was talking about GOOD developers.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Sorry, I was talking about GOOD developers.

Comment

Working...
                X