• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recent OnePlus phones... much cop?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Welcome to Android, cojak
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
      I feel you'd best sit down before you look at the prices of a new Apple phone.
      Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Welcome to Android, cojak
      Is the new iPhone priced out of the market?

I mean a grand seems an awful lot of money for a phone - admittedly I tend to go for low/mid range android phones because I just do not need my phone to do much more than make calls, do texts, surf the web n read books on.

But would spending this level of money completely change my point of view?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        Is the new iPhone priced out of the market?

I mean a grand seems an awful lot of money for a phone - admittedly I tend to go for low/mid range android phones because I just do not need my phone to do much more than make calls, do texts, surf the web n read books on.

But would spending this level of money completely change my point of view?
        Well, it kind of depends. The died in the wool fanbois will no doubt buy Apple no matter the price. But when I can get perhaps four of my really very good Nokia Android phones for the price of one Apple device, I can't help feeling something is a little out of balance here. I can think of nothing the Nokia 6 (or the slightly pricier 8) doesn't do. Why on earth I would shell a thousand quid on a mobile phone is beyond my comprehension I'm afraid to say.

Comment

You pretty much described to a T - The Nokia 6 is the best replacement for my Nexus 5 that I could find. It even has vanilla non-bloated Android 1 OS installed. A great Nexus 5 replacement.
          I guess when the 1+3 came out, it was mid-range Android pricing for a near-premium product. Now it seems to be near-premium product for a near-premium price. So possibly a generic mid-level Android is an option although I do like features such as quick-charge and a good online community.

Also, is stock Android necessarily a plus?

Originally posted by DeludedKitten View Post
          Unless it's desperate I'd leave it a few weeks - oneplus 6t is due out around October 14 so prices of used 5/5T/6 should drop.

I suspect I'll ditch the 3T and move to 6T when it comes out - no more fingerprint sensor on the body as it moves to becoming in screen tech. But there won't be a headphone socket
          Oh no, 1+ are dropping the 3.5mm too?! I thought they were staying with it! Thanks for the heads up on the release - possibly I might look at getting a 6

One thing I've seen becoming more common is waterproof capabilities. I'm pretty sure I never owned a phone with ANY rating here and it would be neat.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Oh no, 1+ are dropping the 3.5mm too?! I thought they were staying with it! Thanks for the heads up on the release - possibly I might look at getting a 6

One thing I've seen becoming more common is waterproof capabilities. I'm pretty sure I never owned a phone with ANY rating here and it would be neat.
            They announced with the 5 that they were sticking with a headphone socket and it's there in the 5, 5T and 6. But the market research says that the majority of their users own wireless headphones and so they can use the space for other tech (unlike Apple who put padding in that space).

New tech includes the in-screen fingerprint reader so there's no physical button to use, and maybe more.

1+ classes the 6 as waterproof but it has no official rating. I'd guess it's splash proof but not much more. Maybe the 6T will have it.

If you want the 6 then I think that you'll see the website having them out of stock from the start of next month (which is what they did with previous models) though you might be able to pick one up at O2 or somewhere like that still.
            I'm not fat, I'm just fluffy.

Comment

I read they claimed 59% "own wireless headphones" which a)is hardly a big majority b)isn't the same as "prefer wireless headphones"... I'm pretty sure I own some and they live in a drawer because they're crap!
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Just a quick reply to the point about vanilla Android. I prefer the basic Android as per the lamented Nexus 5 that I had. If I want to bloat my Android installation, I prefer to do so with apps of my choosing not the phone company's. Nokia 6 has Android One, which fits my needs perfectly.

Comment

Interesting - just the thing I am in the market for - looks like the Nokia 6 (or even 6.1 apparently) is the way to go at just under £200.

I was looking at the Honor 9 lite but it maybe a bit flimsy...

Comment

Well, it kind of depends. The died in the wool fanbois will no doubt buy Apple no matter the price. But when I can get perhaps four of my really very good Nokia Android phones for the price of one Apple device, I can't help feeling something is a little out of balance here. I can think of nothing the Nokia 6 (or the slightly pricier 8) doesn't do. Why on earth I would shell a thousand quid on a mobile phone is beyond my comprehension I'm afraid to say.
                    It's "dyed in the wool".
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                      It's "dyed in the wool".
                      Correct. Take a doughnut (or is that a donut?) and proceed to the top of today's anorak wearer ratings.

Comment

Working...
                      X