• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Solar Power Options

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The cost of solar panels has been kept artificially high due to the lovely EU (and US) protectionism against cheaper Chinese panel imports. Goes somewhat against the ethos of improving renewable power and surprised the greenies haven't been kicking up a stink in terms of saving the planet from carbon based emissions.

Looks like common sense has prevailed and restrictions are being lifted:

EU ends trade controls on Chinese solar panels | Reuters

So should see cheaper offerings soon.

Maybe the government will force builders to panel all new build roofs if the cost becomes more bearable.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post

Maybe the government will force builders to panel all new build roofs if the cost becomes more bearable.
      Doubtful. If you buy electricity then you are paying tax on it, the supply company is paying tax, the generating company is paying tax.
      If you go solar, you are only paying a little tax on the purchase, and nothing thereafter.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

When they were doing the crazy incentives it seemed like a brilliant idea as you could make substantial money.

Then they seemingly took them all away.

I've started seeing more adverts for solar incentives on FB recently; have things swung back somewhat?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          not as easy to nick as a generator either!
          3 gennies in 3 years.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

get enough solar fitted so that you get the grid to buy your surplus.
            Then get a diesel generator, run it on red diesel and become a supplier.
            Win win.

Or even a gas turbine as they require less maintenance.

Small 10kw Micro Gas Turbine Power Generators For Generation - Buy Natural Gas Generator,Small Gas Turbine Power Generation,10kw Micro Gas Turbine Generators Product on Alibaba.com
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

That sounded like a good idea until I saw where it came from.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                That sounded like a good idea until I saw where it came from.
                the turbine or the gas??

Comment

I was reading a thing yesterday about the MullardPhilipsNXPNexperia site in Stockport where they were installing CHP systems in an atempt to reduce the effects of the genius energy costs to industry brought in by the current bunch of no hopers.

http://democracy.stockport.gov.uk/mg...aspx?ID=115020

“The UK Energy Act (2013) introduced rising surcharges on UK Electricity in order to
                  drive through investment in low CO2 power generation.

For NXP Semiconductors UK Ltd this equates to a >£1.1M per annum increase in cost by 2018 , with rates of
                  increase set through to 2020 & forecast to rise again between 2020-2025 .

As a major exporter in an international marketplace, where the majority of NXP’s competitors
                  overseas already benefit from much lower Energy costs (as per BIS/DECC data), the
                  requirement to reduce our energy costs in the UK is becoming increasingly urgent in
                  order to remain competitive and secure employment
                  Talk about deliberately shooting oneself in the foot.

And this lot are "supposed" to be the party of capitalism and industry.

Then again, what do they know about anything other than PPE these days?

Useless Eton educated mother****ers.

And don't get me started on that **** Osbourne.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                    I was reading a thing yesterday about the MullardPhilipsNXPNexperia site in Stockport where they were installing CHP systems in an atempt to reduce the effects of the genius energy costs to industry brought in by the current bunch of no hopers.

http://democracy.stockport.gov.uk/mg...aspx?ID=115020

Talk about deliberately shooting oneself in the foot.

And this lot are "supposed" to be the party of capitalism and industry.

Then again, what do they know about anything other than PPE these days?

Useless Eton educated mother****ers.

And don't get me started on that **** Osbourne.

Why don't they form the cabinet ministers from experts in the respective fields rather than expect career politicians, and the job for life civil servants who work for whichever government is in power, to know anything that matters.

Maybe a government system put in place before the industrial revolution is not fit for purpose in the modern world.

Taxes on electricity is just the start. Once leccy cars become even more prevalent they'll raise the tax on leccy to encourage lower usage as the demand on the national grid won't be able to cope. i.e. tax (for spending elsewhere) rather than invest in solving the problem. Always the way.
                    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
                    X