• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working abroad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working abroad

Overview
    I’ve been working on this project for the past 14momths. I work remotely, but have to go to a remote site (not clients, but clients client site) a few times a week, however over the next month or so we’ve been told to work from home, unless need to come in for f2f meetings. I have to connect to clients vpn on a daily basis.
    Problem
    I need to go over to the states for a few weeks, family emergency. I’ve worked abroad a few times over this period, no problem, but needs to booked in way in advance. The head hancho, is a bit funny about this (old and...old school) for some reason he needs people to stay in the UK, even if he’s told you to work remotely, go figure.
    Anyway, sorry if its long winded, but I need to go over to the states, but will work while I’m over there. Any chance they’ll find out where I’m working from? I’m assuming the work laptop has spyware, runs daily analytics from what I’ve been told.
    Can I get away with working abroad? Without it being flagged?

Originally posted by nopermielifeforme View Post
    Overview
    I’ve been working on this project for the past 14momths. I work remotely, but have to go to a remote site (not clients, but clients client site) a few times a week, however over the next month or so we’ve been told to work from home, unless need to come in for f2f meetings. I have to connect to clients vpn on a daily basis.
    Problem
    I need to go over to the states for a few weeks, family emergency. I’ve worked abroad a few times over this period, no problem, but needs to booked in way in advance. The head hancho, is a bit funny about this (old and...old school) for some reason he needs people to stay in the UK, even if he’s told you to work remotely, go figure.
    Anyway, so if it long winded, but I need to go over to the states, but will work while I’m over there. Any chance they’ll find out where I’m working from? I’m assuming the work laptop has spyware, runs daily analytics from what I’ve been told
    How big is this client ? The bigger the client, the more processes are in place even for managers to pull out such logs.

Comment

Originally posted by jbond007 View Post
      How big is this client ? The bigger the client, the more processes are in place even for managers to pull out such logs.
      Client isn’t big, small, but it’s the clients client who is big.
      I work for the client (small) to help with their client (big)

Hope that’s not too confusing.

Comment

Originally posted by jbond007 View Post

Client is small. They’ve asked me to help them out with their client (big).

Comment

Not sure why my replies aren’t getting posted...but let’s try this again.
          Ive been hired out for a small client, who need me to work on a project for their big client.
          Small client I report to.

Comment

Can I get away with working abroad? Without it being flagged?
            Not a problem. Get three or other mobile operator SIM card with international roaming and 4/3 G included. Use this connection to connect to UK VPN. You will always have UK IP this way.
            Tested with 3 in many countries, I can watch iplayer, so defo UK IP. £20 for 12 GB.

PS. 3 wont give you 4g speed abroad only 3/3+G. That should be OK in theory with u/d speed of 12/1 MB/s if the local network is OK. On paper it is 42/12 MBs but not in reality.

Comment

The above is a good enough solution for spoofing your location. You may come unstuck if asked to attend the client's (or client's client's) site in person...

Make sure you have a plan in place for that.

Comment

Thanks for the info.
                The client I have been hired out by is a small client, they have asked me to help them out with thier big client.
                Small client is whom I report to.

Ultimately, I need to go away and work, without being traced that I’m in the states (when tech I’ll be in UK)
                Also as for client meetings, those will be done over v/c.

Comment

Thanks for the info.
                  The client I have been hired out by is a small client, they have asked me to help them out with thier big client.
                  Small client is whom I report to.

Ultimately, I need to go away and work, without being traced that I’m in the states (when tech I’ll be in UK)
                  Also as for client meetings, those will be done over v/c.
                  How long will you be in the US for? If it’s only a couple of weeks, then shouldn’t be too bad. If you’re planning a 3 month trip, then you may well come unstuck. (Not from the point of view about spoofing your IP, but lying about your location, your availability early morning UK time, etc)
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Sounds like you need to use a VPN with your client.

So, I would remote desktop from the USA to your home PC. Then, connect from your home PC to the client via the VPN. It's gonna be slower than normal but I've known developers to work this way.

Personally, I would be upfront and tell them. Walk if you have to.

Comment

Working...
                    X