Can someone explain to me POE? Can someone explain to me POE?
Posts 1 to 8 of 8

TykeLike

Default Can someone explain to me POE?

I have a router that accepts POE, at the moment it’s got a power cable and an Ethernet cable from a HomePlug adapter.

Ideally I’d like one unit that can supply both power and data to the router, does such a homeplug type thing exist.

If not what’s the deal with injectors/splitters and which is needed
    Last edited by SimonMac; 15th December 2018 at 12:05.
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Froglike

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMac View Post
    I have a router that accepts POE, at the moment it’s got a power cable and an Ethernet cable from a HomePlug adapter.

Ideally I’d like one unit that can supply both power and data to the router, does such a homeplug type thing exist.

If not what’s the deal with injectors/splitters and which is needed
    This?

Solwise AV 500 Powerline/HomePlug Adapter w/ 48v PoE Support (Single) NET-PL-500AV-POE

Still gathering requirements...

Red face Purity Of Essence

Peace On Earth

OPE = the recall code from Dr Strangelove...

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEyedJacks View Post
    Peace On Earth

OPE = the recall code from Dr Strangelove...
    You called?
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Double Godlike!

Walking in the garden, dreaming of Olivia...

My Netgear Homeplugs have a 13 amp socket on them, one of which is feeding the wifi exender with both ethernet and power.
    Blog? What blog...?

TykeLike

Quote Originally Posted by malvolio View Post
    My Netgear Homeplugs have a 13 amp socket on them, one of which is feeding the wifi exender with both ethernet and power.
    They are passthrough, so you still need a LAN cable and a power cable, but they come from the same wall socket. Power Over Ethernet means you just have one cable providing data and power to the unit

I will probably go for Pondy's options long term, at the moment I have a switch which is POE compliant so is powering the router from that
    Last edited by SimonMac; 20th December 2018 at 14:15.
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Double Godlike!

Famous poet and author, quite sinister. HTHBIDI
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Double Godlike!

Walking in the garden, dreaming of Olivia...

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMac View Post
    They are passthrough, so you still need a LAN cable and a power cable, but they come from the same wall socket. Power Over Ethernet means you just have one cable providing data and power to the unit

I will probably go for Pondy's options long term, at the moment I have a switch which is POE compliant so is powering the router from that
    Ah, quite right. Totally missed the import of POE...
    Last edited by malvolio; 20th December 2018 at 14:31.
    Blog? What blog...?