• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

OSX and FileVault

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OSX and FileVault

My 2011 MBP has finally given up the ghost, heroically finally succumbing to a cup of coffee being spilt over it and frying the logic board (it’s wiv da angles now).

New MBP ordered, assuming the HDD on the old one is still working, would it be possible to put the drive in a caddy and use it as an external drive to get any last files off (most have been backed up but that last delta could prove useful).

I’m pretty sure I had FileVault enabled, would it be able to be unlocked with the same iCloud account or will it need the code given when I turned on FileVault? I have a code but after all these years it’s never been used so not sure if it’s the right one
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    (it’s wiv da angles now).
    acute or obtuse?

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      My 2011 MBP has finally given up the ghost, heroically finally succumbing to a cup of coffee being spilt over it and frying the logic board (it’s wiv da angles now).

New MBP ordered, assuming the HDD on the old one is still working, would it be possible to put the drive in a caddy and use it as an external drive to get any last files off (most have been backed up but that last delta could prove useful).

I’m pretty sure I had FileVault enabled, would it be able to be unlocked with the same iCloud account or will it need the code given when I turned on FileVault? I have a code but after all these years it’s never been used so not sure if it’s the right one

I cannot help entirely but I had filevault enabled on Mavericks on a 2012 Macbook, changed the password and promptly forgot it. Wifi was disabled from the previous session, so I had to figure out how to reset it via icloud, which requires wifi to be on of course. I used a system boot fiddle to create a new admin account and then managed to reset it this way.

There seem to be various hacks for Mavericks, which I'll assume your laptop was using given its age, so you should certainly be able to recover it. If you mount the drive via a caddy in linux (forget windows, honestly) it should ask you for for the key as it attempts to auto-mount the drive. I was impressed how the icloud integration worked, although the keychain was a mess after changing the password via icloud.

You sound like an apple shop - do you use a Time Capsule? If so, your data will also be on there too remember. You can access the files using SMB mounting within linux (such as Mint Linux) too which may negate the need to worry about the hard drive. I no longer use OSX and instead mostly use linux, as it works well on most devices and has came on a long way the last few years.
      Last edited by contractorinatractor; 10 January 2019, 11:16.

Comment

Originally posted by contractorinatractor View Post
        I cannot help entirely but I had filevault enabled on Mavericks on a 2012 Macbook, changed the password and promptly forgot it. Wifi was disabled from the previous session, so I had to figure out how to reset it via icloud, which requires wifi to be on of course. I used a system boot fiddle to create a new admin account and then managed to reset it this way.

There seem to be various hacks for Mavericks, which I'll assume your laptop was using given its age, so you should certainly be able to recover it. If you mount the drive via a caddy in linux (forget windows, honestly) it should ask you for for the key as it attempts to auto-mount the drive. I was impressed how the icloud integration worked, although the keychain was a mess after changing the password via icloud.

You sound like an apple shop - do you use a Time Capsule? If so, your data will also be on there too remember. You can access the files using SMB mounting within linux (such as Mint Linux) too which may negate the need to worry about the hard drive. I no longer use OSX and instead mostly use linux, as it works well on most devices and has came on a long way the last few years.
        Turns out FileVault can be unlocked with an iCloud account
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
        X