• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another buzzword for CV - "DevOps"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another buzzword for CV - "DevOps"

Don't they ever give up with these re-hashed buzzwords that simply reiterate the same practices which have been used for decades?

I used exactly this process in my last three contracts, but was turned down for a contract as I apparently didn't have "DevOps" experience!
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 22 February 2019, 11:28.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

I think that is different to the current devops meaning?

I believe current meaning is about automated build and deployment. So as soon as anything gets checked in, everything necessary is rebuilt. And tested. And deployed.

Support team moniotors health of prod, both UAT envs(regular and regression), QA and UAT. Devops help with the toools support need.

QA team keeps on top of testing - ensuring it keeps going and new tests added as needed.

Currently total rewrite in the cloud.

I don't suppose a mod could move this thread to tech or B&C before the cretins jump in?

Comment

Using 'the Internet' when they mean 'the WWW'

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
        Using 'the Internet' when they mean 'the WWW'
        No, they mean ‘someone else’s data centre’.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post

I don't suppose a mod could move this thread to tech or B&C before the cretins jump in?
          A jolly good idea.

(Oh, and you’re both right - which makes things interesting...)
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Yep, agree with Cojak. DevOps, like ITIL, is a state of mind and not a rigid process methodology. Any half-good IT worker will be doing 90% of it already, probably using most of the same tools.

Only three kinds of people make it mandatory and defined: the people writing the books, the people selling the training courses and the agencies looking to trim their applicants pile. Oddly enough, all three have a direct financial interest, as opposed to making the world work.

ITIL4 is coming, BTW. Be prepared for a lot more course work and self-contradictory qualifications demands over the next few months.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              No, they mean ‘someone else’s computer’.
              FTFY
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                Yep, agree with Cojak. DevOps, like ITIL, is a state of mind and not a rigid process methodology. Any half-good IT worker will be doing 90% of it already, probably using most of the same tools.

Only three kinds of people make it mandatory and defined: the people writing the books, the people selling the training courses and the agencies looking to trim their applicants pile. Oddly enough, all three have a direct financial interest, as opposed to making the world work.

ITIL4 is coming, BTW. Be prepared for a lot more course work and self-contradictory qualifications demands over the next few months.

JIRA & GIT makes things better or at least that is what I sell.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

DevOps was coined because it sounds like BlackOps.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    Yeah, feck that for a game of cricket. I’ve been looking at it for my company - it’s basically another reason to demand money with menaces (‘you’ll never work in the industry again unless you spend money on courses and certificates!’j

Of course, when I mentioned it to the client they looked at me like I’d suggested going back to waterfall 1990’s.

I think I can avoid it until I retire.

Comment

Working...
                    X