• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Developer looking at a Tester contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Do they? ;-)

(Even if true, I'm not sure how this would support the statement that a tester is not a very good developer)
    In my experience, yes.
    Test managers are a different matter. Testers are just running scripts written by someone else.

Why would a good dev take a pay cut to become a tester?

That all being said... I've met some very poorly paid (and poorly performing) test managers. they are just testers with enough experience to be promoted beyond their level of competence.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      In my experience, yes.
      Test managers are a different matter. Testers are just running scripts written by someone else.
      Ah. Here's where our experience differs, and why we have different experiences. Generally speaking, you're right in that that is how testing is done in a huge number of companies, but that's more to do with the perception of testers being unskilled and the promotion of factory testing by the big consultancies (usually offshore).

Running scripts isn't testing, and the testers I know that get paid as much as or more than devs tend to be test professionals rather than bums on seats - developing their own test tools and frameworks, attending and speaking at conferences and meetups, etc.

Perhaps I phrased it incorrectly; developers don't always get paid more than testers....

Comment

Testers are just running scripts written by someone else.
        Not my experience, we had to devise the tests.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I'd gladly pay a good tester more than a good developer.
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

I'm a coder. My best paid gig was testing.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
              You obviously don't know a whole lot about delivering software.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                I'm a coder. My best paid gig was testing.
                What's a 'coder'?

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                  That way you’ll know its tulip before you go live
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Life experience spans beyond the criteria of just pay or the greatness of a developer or a tester. Everybody's situation is different and such is my case. I think my question was fairly objective and self sufficient. I believe it has been answered very well by people mature enough to accommodate that thought.

Comment

Working...
                    X