• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

USB-C and powering devices

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB-C and powering devices

My new MBP charges via USB-C, it comes with a 60w adapter, as I usually have a few (one for home, one for the office and one to carry with me if I travel) I’ve been looking at Power Banks with Power Delivery so I have a portable source of power, but they only out put at 30w.

Checking the average input on my MBP it only rarely goes about 29.7w with the occasional spike to 45/50, if I power it from a 30w device could it cause any damage, or just charger slower?

Also I’m reading conflicting advice about cables, all seem to be ok for data transfer, but as a rule of thumb cheaper cables can’t do the full power transfer
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Have you looked at Anker?

Anker

• Compatible with the new 12-inch MacBook, 2015 (USB-C cable needed),
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      Have you looked at Anker?

Anker

• Compatible with the new 12-inch MacBook, 2015 (USB-C cable needed),
      That is the exact one I’m looking at, but I have a MacBook Pro which comes with a 61w power adapter where as the MacBook and MacBook Air comes with 29/30w adapters which is the same output as the Anker device you mention

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Ah, it would help if I read the question more closely!

Sorry, I can't help - it might work slowly. Going the other way is fine - I frequently charge my iPad Pro using ClientCo's Thinkpad power supply (65W)
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          My new MBP charges via USB-C, it comes with a 60w adapter, as I usually have a few (one for home, one for the office and one to carry with me if I travel) I’ve been looking at Power Banks with Power Delivery so I have a portable source of power, but they only out put at 30w.

Checking the average input on my MBP it only rarely goes about 29.7w with the occasional spike to 45/50, if I power it from a 30w device could it cause any damage, or just charger slower?

Also I’m reading conflicting advice about cables, all seem to be ok for data transfer, but as a rule of thumb cheaper cables can’t do the full power transfer
          It will work but at a slower rate, in thew same way that it does with phones. The USB Power Delivery standard allows the device being charged to negotiate the optimum power output with the charger. If the charger doesn't support that then the device defaults to a maximum safe power draw.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            It will work but at a slower rate, in thew same way that it does with phones. The USB Power Delivery standard allows the device being charged to negotiate the optimum power output with the charger. If the charger doesn't support that then the device defaults to a maximum safe power draw.
            Cheers, that is what I thought, but I just wanted to double check!

Comment

It will charge fine, albeit slower, but bear in mind that if you're using your Macbook while charging it, it may charge slower or not at all, depending how hard you're running your machine at the time.

Comment

Working...
              X