• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NETGEAR EX7500 Extender

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NETGEAR EX7500 Extender

Ello. Recently purchased a EX7500 Extender for the new office and on initial config it worked however recently it has been dropping out for all devices (laptop/phones, etc) saying "could not obtain IP address".

When I set it up I think I managed to group both the SSIDs for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz signals - into one wifi signal. Would that cause the issues? Netgear online help ain't that great.

I am wondering if one else has one of these? I can design and implement a nifty cloud database system but when it comes to home wifi I haven't a clue, lots of trial and error.

TIA

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    Ello. Recently purchased a EX7500 Extender for the new office and on initial config it worked however recently it has been dropping out for all devices (laptop/phones, etc) saying "could not obtain IP address".

When I set it up I think I managed to group both the SSIDs for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz signals - into one wifi signal. Would that cause the issues? Netgear online help ain't that great.

I am wondering if one else has one of these? I can design and implement a nifty cloud database system but when it comes to home wifi I haven't a clue, lots of trial and error.

TIA

qh
    Out of interest, what router are you using for your broadband?

(Only asking cause a mate of mine is pinging me on Faceache about him getting connection errors with a Vodafone router.)
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post

TIA

qh
      Having both SSID with the same name does not cause an issue, as long as they are on separate channels
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I don't have experience with the EX7500 extender. One weakness shared by all extenders/repeaters is that, essentially, they are just amplifying a weak signal path. They can only take the (perhaps already weak) wireless signal they are getting from the main hub, and amplify it.

I recently improved the wireless reception in my lounge by changing the main wireless channel on the main router/hub. According to one of those wireless strength apps (eg Wi-Fi Analytics on Android), there were 4 nearby sources all on the same channel. I changed it to an unused channel and the improvement was immediate.

For repeaters, an effective one needs a wired connection to the main hub. For example, any old BT router can be re-purposed as an additional wireless access point, as long as you can arrange/tolerate an ethernet cable (or power line connection) between it and your main hub:

Reuse a spare BT Home Hub as a Wireless Access Point | Unix etc.

Comment

Thanks for all replies, I have moved the router to a better location (for some unfathomable reason I had it tucked away in a corner!) and that has resulted in far better speed. Going to look at the channels then reconfigure the extender again.

Cheers

qh
          He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Working...
          X