• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

linux on a samsung tab A??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

linux on a samsung tab A??

hi guys, i've inherited a tablet. - is it possible to root it and put a linux distro on?
    If so which root process is best, and what distro will work?
    or should i just stick with android?

hmm, i guess not then, or none of the wizzkid webdevs on here know how.
    oh, well.

Comment

Google comes up with nothing as well so think there is your answer.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Google comes up with nothing as well so think there is your answer.
        i found lots of fragments of stuff by googling, but i had hopes for someone who had actually done it.

no worries, i'll have a hack around and see what's what.

thanks anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
          hi guys, i've inherited a tablet. - is it possible to root it and put a linux distro on?
          If so which root process is best, and what distro will work?
          or should i just stick with android?
          Have you had a look at...

https://tablet.ninja/can-you-install-linux-on-a-tablet/
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

A few months ago I installed LineageOS onto an ancient Samsung S3 smartphone. Worked fine. I have a Sony tablet too (Xperia Z4). I might to that as well, when it gets old.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
              Originally posted by unixman View Post
              A few months ago I installed LineageOS onto an ancient Samsung S3 smartphone. Worked fine. I have a Sony tablet too (Xperia Z4). I might to that as well, when it gets old.
              cheers, chaps, - i'll 'ave a butcher's

Comment

Looks like Linux on a tablet is about as useful as a chocolate teapot, as you'd expect.

Linux great on a server, tulip on a user facing device.

Comment

Android is a mobile operating system developed by Google. It is based on a modified version of the Linux kernel and other open source software, and is designed primarily for touchscreen mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets.
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                    cheers, chaps, - i'll 'ave a butcher's
                    I don't think there's an official LineageOS release for the Tab A, but the XDA forum are pretty good about supporting other devices

Redirect Notice

Comment

Working...
                    X