• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PC gamers - changing server into gaming rig

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got a few TS140's. If you want to put a gaming GFX card in it, you'll need to replace the Lenovo power supply as it doesn't have additional connectors to power the card. You'll also need an additional adapter to convert the standard power supply to board connector - see post below.

Lenovo TS140 as ESXi and NAS box – with a twist! | JonKensy.com

Comment

Cheers Bill, it's starting to come together, I will post up an inventory here of what I need, then see if there is anything I have missed.

quick question what is better, a USB wifi dongle eg - Netgear AC1200 High Gain Wifi USB Adapter | Ebuyer.com

or a wifi card eg - https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-PCE-N1.../dp/B0053GR2YI

qh
      Last edited by quackhandle; 9 August 2019, 09:11.
      He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
        Cheers Bill, it's starting to come together, I will post up an inventory here of what I need, then see if there is anything I have missed.

quick question what is better, a USB wifi dongle eg - Netgear AC1200 High Gain Wifi USB Adapter | Ebuyer.com

or a wifi card eg - https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-PCE-N1.../dp/B0053GR2YI

qh
        You might want to read this regarding networks.
        Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
          You might want to read this regarding networks.
          1985 just rang me and asked for their article back.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            1985 just rang me and asked for their article back.
            So latency is no longer an issue, that's good.

The local old folks home rang and asked for their cantankerous old fart back. Shall I tell them you're on your way?
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
              So latency is no longer an issue, that's good.

The local old folks home rang and asked for their cantankerous old fart back . Shall I tell them you're on your way?
              I'm sure they didn't
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                I'm sure they didn't
                No mate, they didn't. I fibbed, they don't want you back. Cool story though

Comment

So found a decent GPU but I need to upgrade the PSU, never done this before, given that I plan to get a GTX1060 4GB nVidia what PSU would be compatible with that?

I did use google but there were lots of differing opinions - bit like this place!

qh
                  He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Your best bet is posting on the ThinkServer section of Lenovo's forum. Surprisingly still very active for TS140 tinkering.

ThinkServer - Lenovo Community

Comment

Your best bet is posting on the ThinkServer section of Lenovo's forum. Surprisingly still very active for TS140 tinkering.

ThinkServer - Lenovo Community

Comment

Working...
                      X