• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PC gamers - changing server into gaming rig

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small update on this:

Upgraded the PSU to Corsair CX 450
    Stuck in a nVIDIA GTX 1050Ti 4GB Graphics Card
    NETGEAR wifi dongle which is quite good 150-175Mbps

(already had XEON E3 and 28GB RAM, 6TB HDD)

Happy to report that SW Battlefront runs very fast on it.

qh
    Last edited by quackhandle; 26 November 2019, 16:40.
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

So, after many months of games running in Ultra and at 60fps the gaming rig has started to become a tad glitchy.

Also windows starting to slow when turning off/restart.

Took the side off, gave it a clean, still games are glitchy. Tried to knock the gfx down to high/medium which helps but not greatly.

Looked at GPU driver updates but still not resolved the issue. Odd thing is, is that is doesn't happen every time, sometimes it is fine. Most odd.

Currently have NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti 4GB with driver ver 456.55

Not playing the latest games, my lad plays MC and I play Halo and BF2.

qh

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
        So, after many months of games running in Ultra and at 60fps the gaming rig has started to become a tad glitchy.

Took the side off, gave it a clean, still games are glitchy. Tried to knock the gfx down to high/medium which helps but not greatly.

Looked at GPU driver updates but still not resolved the issue. Odd thing is, is that is doesn't happen every time, sometimes it is fine. Most odd.

qh
        You mentioned use of a HDD, what's the disk defragmentation looking like? You could drop a SSD in and reinstall windows on to that.
        Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Disk Fragmentation is at 0% for both OS drive and drive where games files reside.

Rig has 28GB RAM so pretty sure it isn't that.

It's an odd one, as this has worked fine since last November and the freezing doesn't happen every time.

qh

Comment

IMO a server doesn't make a good gaming rig simply due to the noise levels.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post

qh
              If it's win 10, have a look in task manager details on the start up tab.
              It shows avg start up time for processes started during win start.

Could also be a scheduled task set to start on startup/shutdown, which is misbehaving.
              Don't believe it, until you see it!

Comment

Originally posted by darrylmg View Post
                If it's win 10, have a look in task manager details on the start up tab.
                It shows avg start up time for processes started during win start.

Could also be a scheduled task set to start on startup/shutdown, which is misbehaving.
                Yep, looked at that, hardly anything in startup now after disabling a few things.

Looking like a new SSD and reinstall OS on that and see if that resolves the issue.

qh

Comment

Have you run something like CC cleaner to get rid of all the windoze crap it fills drives up with?
                  Download CCleaner | Clean, optimize & tune up your PC, free!

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                    Have you run something like CC cleaner to get rid of all the windoze crap it fills drives up with?
                    Download CCleaner | Clean, optimize & tune up your PC, free!
                    I tend to avoid stuff like CCleaner as it's menace to uninstall and keeps popping up to buy other apps.

I suspect it is the GPU driver so might uninstall to a previous version.

qh

Comment

Working...
                    X