• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PC gamers - changing server into gaming rig

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC gamers - changing server into gaming rig

Ello.

I have a ThinkServer TS140 that I used for a few years with ESXi/VMWare and was basically my home lab. Azure has sort of made that obsolete now and it has sat for last few years gathering dust.

My lad is interested in pcs and asked if he could build one, but I thought this would be good for updating to a gaming rig. It is a decent Xeon E3 with 32GB RAM and 4TB of HDD, won't be playing the latest games (Minecraft for my lad) but something like SW Battlefront would be nice!

I know I'll need a decent GPU but what else? Better psu? A wifi card?

Anyone done this?

TIA

qh
    Last edited by quackhandle; 8 August 2019, 08:58.
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Should be an interesting project and on the face of it it will be easy to meet the minimum requirements for a game like SWB2 and deffo minecraft. Might take a bit of research if you want to meet or exceed the recommended specifications though. Is that the benchmark game or is there a chance the next one you want to play is a little more resource intensive?

Star Wars Battlefront 2 system requirements | Can I Run Star Wars Battlefront 2

Plenty of people have tried so loads to read out there.
    ts140 gaming - Google Search

You don't mention which E3 it is but plenty of sites doing comparisons of them against i-7's. They are virtually the same CPU but if you've got a lower E3 and SWB needs a higher i-7 you might be falling behind optimal. Won't take long to compare and see where you are at though.

I don't know much about the latest GPU's but there are a few odd comments on the upgrade forums about some not physically fitting but this could be the high end ones where one to meet requirements is fine.

Dunno what PSU is already in it but many people seem to be favouring beefier ones. The difference is so cheap I never skimped on PSU's when building PCs with a few to possible upgrades in the future.

For gaming I'd be favouring hardwired all day but the quality of the new wifi stuff will do for dad level of play. I doubt you'll be chasing minimal FPS and blaming lagging everytime you die like my two do
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Obviously twin 37 inch 4k monitors are required, as is fancy light up games keyboard and mice, and a fancy gaming chair. Gotta look the part even if you are too old to be a hardcore gamer

Although try to avoid any products that say 'gamers' for when you put it though the business

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Obviously twin 37 inch 4k monitors are required, as is fancy light up games keyboard and mice, and a fancy gaming chair. Gotta look the part even if you are too old to be a hardcore gamer

Although try to avoid any products that say 'gamers' for when you put it though the business
        My lad has already ear marked all that, I did ask that's a lot of pocket money to pay for it all! SW Battlefront 2 maybe too new to play with what I want to spec without upgrading the psu. Will let you know how I get on. Was always a huge fan of WW2 flying games but apart from IL2 Sturmovik, there doesn't seem to be a market for them.

qh

Comment

Right, what is all the Steam malarky about, basically you download games from there? Any bloody good?

Instead of plugging in cat5/6 cable in back of the tower I can stick a wifi card in there?

TIA

qh

Comment

what is all the Steam malarky about
            Steam is a digital platform for the sale and distribution of games.
            its actually very good as once you lad creates an account, any game he purchases will stay in his library of available games for ever, meaning he don't need to keep any box's or CD's or the like.

there are many free to play games on steam and many cheap <£5 games as well as the big ticket latest block buster games.

My lads steam library is massive and often at Xmas/Births days if people are at a loss what to buy a teen age lad, we will suggest a £5 steam voucher which he redeems on the website and gets to choose a game.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
              Instead of plugging in cat5/6 cable in back of the tower I can stick a wifi card in there?
              qh
              yes ...
              However with many games requiring quick reactions, anything that is going to slow down you lads ability to react is going to be a cause of frustration.

a network cable would be best.
              Power-line adapters also sort of work.
              Maybe a decent wifi would be suffice, but i tend to consider that wifi is for phones and pads.

Comment

Originally posted by Cid View Post
                yes ...
                However with many games requiring quick reactions, anything that is going to slow down you lads ability to react is going to be a cause of frustration.
                i get that constantly now when he's playing Minecraft on MrsQH old laptop - "Dad, it's total lag, the mobs are killing me! I can't deal with this lag!"

They don't know the dark days of dial up!

Moon On a Stick these kids!

qh

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                  i get that constantly now when he's playing Minecraft on MrsQH old laptop - "Dad, it's total lag, the mobs are killing me! I can't deal with this lag!"

They don't know the dark days of dial up! ldgit

Moon On a Stick these kids!

qh
                  I blame the parents.

Comment

I game - on a PS4 over wifi

Never had any problems.

Got to be careful - with some games when a server is heavily populated you can get lag from that

also depends if someone else on the server has bad ping then it can affect your game.

Comment

Working...
                    X