• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New computer - Mac or PC?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    For the past 10 years.
    We'll have to agree to differ there. I had plenty of issues with Win10 and that one was one the reasons I finally (personally) switched to Apple, but I was using W10 all day everyday until 18 months ago. And for an un-savvy user (e.g. my mum) I still have to clean off all the "extras" (toolbars, pop ups, web search enhancements) that she's picked up each time I visit. I've always thought that Windows was great for professionals but awful for non-techies. I have enough current exposure to Win10 that I haven't changed my mind, but I'll admit that even my "numpty" users, who I used to have to help out at least once a month, can now generally get by for about 3 before something goes wonky

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
      And for an un-savvy user (e.g. my mum) I still have to clean off all the "extras" (toolbars, pop ups, web search enhancements) that she's picked up each time I visit.
      This. This so much. My father in law clicks every 'your PC has a virus, click here to remove it' he sees. I moved them off to a Mac and the support/maintenance calls have fallen off a cliff. For a standard user I would argue that it's way better (more secure, less virus prone, less possible to tinker with) than Windows.

The downsides of course, are the walled garden approach to software and hardware compatibility.
      And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
        This. This so much. My father in law clicks every 'your PC has a virus, click here to remove it' he sees. I moved them off to a Mac and the support/maintenance calls have fallen off a cliff. For a standard user I would argue that it's way better (more secure, less virus prone, less possible to tinker with) than Windows.

The downsides of course, are the walled garden approach to software and hardware compatibility.
        Just curious, but why would one go with Apple (£££££) instead of a Chromebook (££) if this is such an issue with less worldly-wise users?

It seems like an overly expensive solution.
        ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
        Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Oh I need a scanner/printer/MS Office is it ChromeBook compatible?

With OSX you just plug and it works.

If the father in law wants to play a game if it says it's Mac compatible he can.

If they have a problem/question, they can walk into an Apple store/reseller.

Lots of reasons. It's not always about the money.
          And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Oh I need a scanner/printer/MS Office is it ChromeBook compatible?

With OSX you just plug and it works.

If the father in law wants to play a game if it says it's Mac compatible he can.

If they have a problem/question, they can walk into an Apple store/reseller.

Lots of reasons. It's not always about the money.
            Fair enough. Just seems odd to my more Celtic financial predisposition.
            ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

Linux - it's only free if your time is worthless.....

Comment

Linux - it's only free if your time is worthless.....
                True dat.
                ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
                  Just curious, but why would one go with Apple (£££££) instead of a Chromebook (££) if this is such an issue with less worldly-wise users?

It seems like an overly expensive solution.
                  it's a bit comparing apples to oranges, if anything the comparison should be with x86 Laptop running Linux.

I have always wondered who buys Chromebooks instead of android tablet with external keyboard, they seem so niche. Not to mention the baked-in expiration on software updates.

The latest versions of Win 10 (last 6m or so) are somewhat decent. Previously the interface was a hot mess of old style and new stile, lately they have managed to dispatch with most of the legacy stuff. Unfortunately as a side effect now it takes me ages to find settings that I have known by heard for 20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                    it's a bit comparing apples to oranges, if anything the comparison should be with x86 Laptop running Linux.

I have always wondered who buys Chromebooks instead of android tablet with external keyboard, they seem so niche. Not to mention the baked-in expiration on software updates.

The latest versions of Win 10 (last 6m or so) are somewhat decent. Previously the interface was a hot mess of old style and new stile, lately they have managed to dispatch with most of the legacy stuff. Unfortunately as a side effect now it takes me ages to find settings that I have known by heard for 20 years.
                    Let's agree to disagree on pretty much each of your points and move on...
                    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

Working...
                    X