Canon 1000D Canon 1000D
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Canon 1000D

Contractor Among Contractors

Default Canon 1000D

How can I reduce the size of the JPG files it creates, either before or after the photo is taken? Some sites won't accept images greater than 3mb and the Canon creates files of 4mb on average.

edit
    I can see there are a number of products available, but what is the simplest way?
    Last edited by JohntheBike; 17th September 2019 at 08:38.

Double Godlike!

Walking in the garden, dreaming of Olivia...

The menu option to define what size image you want is there, if you look. Three sizes and three densities as I recall...
    Blog? What blog...?

Quote Originally Posted by malvolio View Post
    The menu option to define what size image you want is there, if you look. Three sizes and three densities as I recall...
    ok, thanks.

Super poster

I think it's in the camera settings. I have an 1100D gathering dust at home, I'll fire it up and double check if you can't find it

Respect my authoritah!

Quote Originally Posted by JohntheBike View Post
    How can I reduce the size of the JPG files it creates, either before or after the photo is taken?
    Load onto a computer. Use software that can resize JPGs. There's plenty of free offerings, some of them online.

I gather GIMP is quite popular.
    Boomers tend to believe in “freedom of speech”, which is a fascist concept used to spread hateful ideas.Given that hate speech is not possible without free speech, any defence of free speech is a form of hate speech. - Titania McGrath

Double Godlike!

Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Load onto a computer. Use software that can resize JPGs. There's plenty of free offerings, some of them online.

Yes, that works as well, and it's what I do to pass on photos that are otherwise too big.

It all depends what eventual limage quality is required. If I'm photoing a Sea Eagle at 300 yards with a long lens, I'll have the camera take the biggest densest picture it can so I can blow up the bits I want and still have decent quality. Normally I use medium size and high density, which seems to work well.

Incidentlaly my current Canon, its two predecessors and the mickey little ShureShot we still use on occasion all have hte same setting option. I'm sure the 1000D will as well.
    Blog? What blog...?

Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    I think it's in the camera settings. I have an 1100D gathering dust at home, I'll fire it up and double check if you can't find it
    thanks, I've looked on my menu display and it's not immediately obvious there. I've not had time today (looking after grandchildren) to root out the manual to check.

Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post

ok, thanks, I'll research this offering.

My post count is Majestic

Page 64 of the manual cover it?

https://nnps.org/pdf_files/Camera%20...D%20Manual.pdf

If you don't mind uploading your pics to christ knows where then this tool is useful

Resize a JPG - Online JPG Tools
    Last edited by northernladuk; 17th September 2019 at 14:53.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Double Godlike!

Quote Originally Posted by JohntheBike View Post
    thanks, I've looked on my menu display and it's not immediately obvious there. I've not had time today (looking after grandchildren) to root out the manual to check.
    On your menu display will be a little icon like three bars in a quarter circle. That's the image quality option. Don't know if the 1000D does touch screen, but on my 650D you just click on it
    Blog? What blog...?