• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If you use Office 365...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you use Office 365...

...Argos are currently selling a one year Office 365 Home licence (in a bundle with McAfee, which you can just ignore) for £39.99 inc VAT. Microsoft price is £79.99. Can buy multiple years and add them to your current subscription up to five years in the future. Just bought five years worth myself.

...for what it's worth, I bunged the five copies of McAfee on eBay for a fiver apiece and four are sold already - so even more of a deal

Comment

Originally posted by Amanensia View Post
      ...for what it's worth, I bunged the five copies of McAfee on eBay for a fiver apiece and four are sold already - so even more of a deal
      Of course you checked that they are still licensed after resale didn't you?
      You wouldn't want to rip off your customers with pirated software.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

IANAL, but.....

The EU software directive states:
        “The first sale in the Community of a copy of a program by the rightholder or with his consent shall exhaust the distribution right within the Community of that copy, with the exception of the right to control further rental of the program or a copy thereof.”

In plainer English: the rightholder of a particular piece of software (eg McAfee) has the right to control initial distribution within the EU. However, once the software has been legally sold to an end user, this right of control expires. It's completely legitimate to re-sell something you've bought legally. In fact it goes even further than that; there have been several cases where the right of the initial purchaser to re-sell software, even after it has been used, has been upheld, so long as the seller can demonstrate that they aren't retaining a copy themselves. This is analogous to selling for example a DVD - you can sell it legally, but you can't rip it to your computer, keep the ripped copy, and then re-sell the original. This is why I have a loft full of CDs and DVDs that are all sitting happily ripped on my NAS.

In this case the original purchases were unused and unopened. McAfee/whomever might not like people selling unused software, but it's perfectly legal to do so. Whether this might change in a couple of weeks time if we revoke all historic EU court decisions we shall have to wait and see!

Comment

Isn't the Home version very limited in terms of the software it contains?

Comment

Originally posted by crghsam View Post
            Isn't the Home version very limited in terms of the software it contains?
            You don’t get an Exchange server or SharePoint, but that’s about it I think. Full versions of Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Publisher and Access.

Comment

Originally posted by Amanensia View Post
              You don’t get an Exchange server or SharePoint, but that’s about it I think. Full versions of Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Publisher and Access.
              And that’s all I need.

Thanks for the tip Amanensia.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
              X