• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sweet spot for refurbished iPhone as second handset for business use?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweet spot for refurbished iPhone as second handset for business use?

My second handset is due for replacement and having an Android based one as my primary (personal) smartphone I'm thinking of getting a refurbished iPhone for business use.

Main thing I'd want to be able to use it for is:

Browser testing with Safari, so needs to be relatively up to date if not able to receive new updates.
    Calls, text, the usual non-smartphone stuff. Anything advanced I'll be using my personal smartphone.

I guess other than whether the device is too old for updates the other thing is whether the battery can easily be replaced.

So anyone got any opinions on the best refurbished iPhone for size, performance/features, cost, browser/app update support?

I see the iPhone 5 variants can be had for under £100 and initial checks suggest that was the last iteration before Apple went too daft with the sizes and now have something not far off an iPad Mini as a phone. I'm not looking to do Dom Jolly "I'm on a train!" impressions.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

iPhone 5 is the old screen size, not really good for testing apps/websites, also it's stuck at iOS10 (current is 13) so quite outdated. Also lacking touchID / ApplePay if you ever need to test that. Waste of money.

Your best bet is iPhone 7 for about £200. Running the latest iOS.

Check on amazon for "renewed" which comes with 1 year warranty from Amazon (same as Apple's warranty on a new phone).

Alternatively you can wait for the new iPhone SE which is rumoured to have the A13 chip (the same as iPhone 11) within an iPhone 7/8 shell (touch Id insetad of Face ID etc.) for about £400-450. Supposedly launching Q1 2020

Comment

At my last client I had to propose a new handset replacement policy this year as there was increasing pressure from staff to have newer iphones (the default was a 6.)

Apple have been increasing the length of time that models can still get iOS updates and it now goes to 6 years after launch typically but I believe the 5 models can no longer be updated?

It won't be long before the 6 model can't be updated too (probably Sept 2020.)

I would suggest getting a 7. That was what was implemented at the client despite me proposing to move to the 8.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
        iPhone 5 is the old screen size, not really good for testing apps/websites, also it's stuck at iOS10 (current is 13) so quite outdated. Also lacking touchID / ApplePay if you ever need to test that. Waste of money.

Your best bet is iPhone 7 for about £200. Running the latest iOS.

Check on amazon for "renewed" which comes with 1 year warranty from Amazon (same as Apple's warranty on a new phone).

Alternatively you can wait for the new iPhone SE which is rumoured to have the A13 chip (the same as iPhone 11) within an iPhone 7/8 shell (touch Id insetad of Face ID etc.) for about £400-450. Supposedly launching Q1 2020
        I thought about getting an Amazon 'renewed' device to replace my iPhone 6 this summer but I read a lot of reviews from people unhappy with the quality of devices (not just iphones.) They aren't renewed to Apple's standards and the whole thing seemed a bit hit and miss.

I've previously bought refurbished iphones from GiffGaff and Music Magpie. They seemed (cosmetically at least) to be refurbished to a high standard but both died within a year.

Comment

But of course Amazon (and other 3rd party) refurbished devices are not up to the Apple refurbished standards externally - as reflected by the price. AFAIK Apple replaces the shell (which costs them pennies) and reuses the electronics and the screen which are the expensive bits. If reports are true even Apple doesn't put new batteries in the refurbished devices, which was a cause of some complaints.

The reason I suggested Amazon is that at least you get the 1y reliable warranty (same as new iPhone from Apple), which few other vendors of 2nd hand mobiles provide.

Changing every bit (except the LCD display and the main board) including the battery and screen is completely DYI and costs peanuts in parts and tools on Amazon/E-bay etc. I have changed iPad screens and iPhone batteries numerous times and also changed the most difficult to reach bit - the GPS antenna on iPhone 6. There are idiot proof instructions on Youtube and iFixIt.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
            But of course Amazon (and other 3rd party) refurbished devices are not up to the Apple refurbished standards externally - as reflected by the price. AFAIK Apple replaces the shell (which costs them pennies) and reuses the electronics and the screen which are the expensive bits. If reports are true even Apple doesn't put new batteries in the refurbished devices, which was a cause of some complaints.

The reason I suggested Amazon is that at least you get the 1y reliable warranty (same as new iPhone from Apple), which few other vendors of 2nd hand mobiles provide.

Changing every bit (except the LCD display and the main board) including the battery and screen is completely DYI and costs peanuts in parts and tools on Amazon/E-bay etc. I have changed iPad screens and iPhone batteries numerous times and also changed the most difficult to reach bit - the GPS antenna on iPhone 6. There are idiot proof instructions on Youtube and iFixIt.
            Apple do put new batteries in iOS devices according to their refurb store.

Why Refurbished - Apple (UK)

Comment

Ah I might be confusing it with battery life on refurbished Macbooks. Anyway, the price premium of Apple certified refurbished isn't worth it IMHO

Comment

I am sure your wife won’t mind you having this burner phone

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                  I am sure your wife won’t mind you having this burner phone
                  There are far cheaper and easier ways of getting burners than to even contemplate paying the Apple tax.

As it is I've had two phones for years now. Ever since I realised the merit of having a phone for business that I could leave behind or ignore when not working or wanting to be contacted by work related people, and also to replace the sim periodically to cull all the dodgy agents and other fleeting contacts I'm not interested in keeping in touch with. They still have my email address if anything genuine comes up, as I've kept the same honeypot running for the last 20 odd years.
                  Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Just get a duel sim phone - job done

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Working...
                    X