• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is there an easy way to monitor my internet connection and log issues?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I run this script continuously because of the problem I mentioned here:
    https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...broadband.html

test.bat
    Code:
    @echo off

:loop
    echo ======== %TIME%
    ping -n 1 www.google.co.uk
    echo.
    timeout /t 60 /nobreak > NUL
    goto loop
    test > out.txt
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
      quick and dirty Powershell 1-liner:

test-connection google.com -count 999999 -delay 1 -Verbose | format-table @{n='TimeStamp';e={Get-Date}},Address, ProtocolAddress, ResponseTime | out-file c:\temp\test-connection.txt -append

Edit:

Run the same in parallel swapping "google.com" with your router internal IP (The default gateway IP on your devices) to compare and eliminate the issue being your WiFi/router. Cheapo routers (like most provider devices) will tulip their pants with more than 10ish devices connected to the WiFi, if you have any Smart home tech you are over that for sure (I'm sitting at about 40)
      I bought a better router and I can still connect to it and see it reporting internet status is down when problems occur so I guess it's not that but definitely good to check.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
        I run this script continuously because of the problem I mentioned here:
        https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...broadband.html

test.bat
        Code:
        @echo off

:loop
        echo ======== %TIME%
        ping -n 1 www.google.co.uk
        echo.
        timeout /t 60 /nobreak > NUL
        goto loop
        test > out.txt
        I have something similar for my VPN, it outputs a webhook to slack for notifications
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          I'm reasonably happy with our PlusNet fibre service but typically once every two days it will drop for 1-2 minutes while we're watching Netflix or something - maybe I note my phone isn't working and know 30s later the TV stream will stop.

It struck me it could be going down far more often and I wouldn't notice, unless I was using Skype or RDP for work at just the wrong time.

Is there a handy way to monitor for service outages or even to log service speed throughout the day? Of course it would require an always-on internet-connected device but I typically leave my Mac on 24/7. Or, could I even do it on my router? If I had a NAS, could I do it on that easily?

Thanks for any advice.
          You can create an account on thinkbroadband.com then set up a monitor which will continually ping your router, but this will require you to have a static IP address - which you can get for free from PN, just ask them. You can then check the connection over time and see when any outages/delays occur.

It might also be worth disabling any telephone extension wiring if you have any, that can have an adverse effect on your connection

Comment

The engineer already did that when we moved in. We were getting about 4Mbps and though it was because of our rural nature, but he cut out the extensions they'd wired to every room so the wire went direct to the single master socket, and we got up to a maximum of 38Mbps

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              The engineer already did that when we moved in. We were getting about 4Mbps and though it was because of our rural nature, but he cut out the extensions they'd wired to every room so the wire went direct to the single master socket, and we got up to a maximum of 38Mbps
              That's a *big* difference because of the extension wiring and worthy of separate investigation IMHO

(Are you able to use a DECT phone and permanently eliminate the extension wiring? Homeplug is an option if you need a network connection remote from the router)

Do you still get the dropouts using just the master socket? If so it's probably worth raising a fault call with PN. They're usually pretty good at investigating this sort of thing IME, we too live in a rural location.

I think for my own peace of mind I'd get a static IP organised and then run the thinkbroadband monitor, that at least will generate stats that you can use to support the issue (and won't cost anything).

Comment

We don't have any extension wiring - when the engineer was out he found the line entering the house above the front door and a horrible junction box thing. IIRC he cut that out and put in a new cable to a new master socket, one of the new ones.
                So we only have one phone socket in the house now - they'd had them in nearly every room from the days people used to use landlines.

Comment

You can get Zabbix running on a rasperry pi on your local network, perhaps PRTG on a Windows machine if you have one around. Up to 100 sensors is free and it is a damn good solution.

Comment

Working...
                  X