• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Disabling auto updates in Windows 10

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

set the network as a metered connection. That should reduce Windows 10 usage of it.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      set the network as a metered connection. That should reduce Windows 10 usage of it.
      Did that. A few days later, it downloaded an update chewing up 3.6Gb of my data pack.
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
        Did that. A few days later, it downloaded an update chewing up 3.6Gb of my data pack.
        get more data??

I pay less than £20 per month for 12Gb

doesn't solve the problem just gets around it...

Comment

Originally posted by darrylmg View Post
          If you know the download host names, put them in your hosts file against a local ip address. That might stop it.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
          Here they are.
          https://social.technet.microsoft.com...=winserverwsus

Just put those in the hosts file on your PC against 127.0.0.1 or some other invalid local ip, and they will effectively be blocked.
          A simple batch file could switch your hosts file (+ clear arp table and dns cache) so you can choose when to get updates.
          Another option is to put them into windows firewall using the "netsh advfirewall" commands. This could also be scripted to reverse them on demand.

Don't believe it, until you see it!

Comment

Originally posted by darrylmg View Post
            Here they are.
            https://social.technet.microsoft.com...=winserverwsus

Just put those in the hosts file on your PC against 127.0.0.1 or some other invalid local ip, and they will effectively be blocked.
            A simple batch file could switch your hosts file (+ clear arp table and dns cache) so you can choose when to get updates.
            Another option is to put them into windows firewall using the "netsh advfirewall" commands. This could also be scripted to reverse them on demand.

This is one of the way to disable auto-update. Also it is possible to disable updates via "Administration Politics"

Comment

Working...
            X