Home NAS with SSDs Home NAS with SSDs - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 21 to 25 of 25

Fingers like lightning

Seagate are fine but make sure you get the enterprise disks and not from China, the Thai fabs have much lower failure rates. I have never lost a disk in 30 years of trading.

SSD is not reliable over time yet, iron still best for long-term storage.

Synology and their ilk offer energy-efficient file storage and useful tooling. Mine is now 10 years old without a glitch.

Super poster

Quote Originally Posted by Platypus View Post
    Personally, I'd avoid Seagate and WD HDD like the plague.

HDS (now HGST) and Toshiba consistently come out top in these reports:
    Hard Drive Reliability in 2019: Failure Rates of 108,461 Drives

I'm sure lots of people will be along to point out that HGST is now a subsidiary of WD.

I had a crop of Seagate 6TB drives a few years ago, that all failed within 12 months.

I have Hitachi drives in my NAS, which I bought after a lot of research. I'd love SSD but prices are still too high, £1000 for 4TB. I could buy all my movies and TV from Apple for less than the £4k cost of SSDs for my NAS
    HPE Support document - HPE Support Center
    See You Next Tuesday

Ducklike

Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    And I believe that Intel SSD have build in self-destruct too :-/

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...g61x2fpnq0fi00

Contractor Among Contractors

Another vote for Synology having taken the plunge and upgraded from my old Netgear Duo NAS earlier this year. (The Netgear ran fine for 8 years or so with Seagate HDDS btw)

Not the original question but for interest, I looked at lots of NAS boxes before I upgraded, shortlisted to Synology and QNAP in the end. It was very close but eventually went for the former. I'm sure the QNAP would be perform excellently too.

Been running WD Red drives in the new NAS, also ran a pair for a couple of years in the old Netgear box without issue.

Concur what's been said about buying your drives from different vendors ideally over a spread of time to minimise the chance of getting all from the same batch.

There's the argument of whether or not to spin down HDDs when not in use (not an issue with SSD obviously). I'm still undecided on this but currently leave them spinning given the Reds are spec'd for 24/7 running (as I understand it anyway)
    Do what thou wilt

Ducklike

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Black View Post
    Another vote for Synology
    I went with QNAP... and kinda wish I'd gone Synology. Fan on the QNAP can be noisy. Really it needs replacing, I think the bearing is going.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Black View Post
    There's the argument of whether or not to spin down HDDs when not in use
    Like you, I went with "always on always spinning", there was something at the back of my mind telling me (maybe from history) that spinning drives up and down all the time shortens their lives.