• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Home NAS with SSDs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home NAS with SSDs

Looked at getting a NAS a few years ago but found a tad expensive however I seem to acquired a few TB worth of films/tv box sets that are on various laptops so looking at this again putting them all on a NAS and stream through TV.

Looking around most are still advocating HDDs , I thought they would be using SSDs now (albeit at increased cost).

Anyone got one running SSDs? Worth the extra cost?

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    Looked at getting a NAS a few years ago but found a tad expensive however I seem to acquired a few TB worth of films/tv box sets that are on various laptops so looking at this again putting them all on a NAS and stream through TV.

Looking around most are still advocating HDDs , I thought they would be using SSDs now (albeit at increased cost).

Anyone got one running SSDs? Worth the extra cost?

qh
    Why would you need SSD's? For video's you really don't need anything more than a hard disk - speed is never going to be an issue. As a NAS is a low touch system which if configured correctly only has the disks running when data is being read or written to them - hard disks should last for years longer than in a laptop / desktop.

My one piece of advice (apart from find an old computer and install unraid rather than spending money on a full on NAS) is don't buy all your disks from the same brand at the same time. Failure rates are connected to manufacturing so buy disks from different manufacturers or over time to minimise the risk of complete failure.
    Last edited by eek; 19 November 2019, 10:40.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Why would you need SSD's? For video's you really don't need anything more than a hard disk - speed is never going to be an issue. As a NAS is a low touch system which if configured correctly only has the disks running when data is being read or written to them - hard disks should last for years longer than in a laptop / desktop.

My one piece of advice (apart from find an old computer and install unraid rather than spending money on a full on NAS) is don't buy all your disks from the same brand at the same time. Failure rates are connected to manufacturing so buy disks from different manufacturers or over time to minimise the risk of complete failure.
      It wasn't so much speed I was concerned about it was more reliability, ie - SSDs no moving parts, less heat etc.

Thanks for the tip on using old lappy. That could be doable.

qh

Comment

If you do want to buy a home NAS, I have a Synology one that works well. Different sizes available (as in number of bays) and you can either buy with discs or chuck in your own. It burbles along nicely with minimal maintenance.

As above, no real need for SSD. I paid a little extra for quiet drives as it sits in my front room.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          If you do want to buy a home NAS, I have a Synology one that works well. Different sizes available (as in number of bays) and you can either buy with discs or chuck in your own. It burbles along nicely with minimal maintenance.

As above, no real need for SSD. I paid a little extra for quiet drives as it sits in my front room.
          +1 for Synology

Comment

I use a QNAP, very happy with it. HDDs, got about 800 movies and 70-odd TV series on there (all 100% legit from original DVDs before anyone asks.)

I couldn’t see the point in SSDs, the drives aren’t a bottleneck.

Comment

You can recover from an HDD getting corrupted rather more easily than an SDD. The MTBF is approximately the same (different makes and models vary). Therefore get HDDs - they're cheaper and as robust.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Thanks for all comments.

What got me thinking was l stumbled on a review of the Seagate IronWolf 110 SSD, I wasn't aware this was a thing, but tech is always moving fast.

Seems like HDD now, and possibly SSD Caching in the future.

YouTube

qh

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                  Thanks for all comments.

What got me thinking was l stumbled on a review of the Seagate IronWolf 110 SSD, I wasn't aware this was a thing, but tech is always moving fast.

Seems like HDD now, and possibly SSD Caching in the future.

YouTube

qh
                  While there is a use case for fast write / read from a NAS, video streaming (except for say a Netflix gateway proxy device or a plane) is not really that use case.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Personally, I'd avoid Seagate and WD HDD like the plague.

HDS (now HGST) and Toshiba consistently come out top in these reports:
                    Hard Drive Reliability in 2019: Failure Rates of 108,461 Drives

I'm sure lots of people will be along to point out that HGST is now a subsidiary of WD.

I had a crop of Seagate 6TB drives a few years ago, that all failed within 12 months.

I have Hitachi drives in my NAS, which I bought after a lot of research. I'd love SSD but prices are still too high, £1000 for 4TB. I could buy all my movies and TV from Apple for less than the £4k cost of SSDs for my NAS

Comment

Working...
                    X