Are traditional house alarm systems a relic of the past? Are traditional house alarm systems a relic of the past? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 21 to 30 of 30
  1. #21

    My post count is Majestic

    d000hg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    My house
    Posts
    32,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minestrone View Post
    I was considering getting my NEST smoke alarms to send some json to a logic app that would send me a notification on slack if motion was detected when I was out the house. Then I decided to get a life.

    But you could probably build a decent system through that kind of set up very cheaply. The motion detectors are cheap as chips.
    Guess the issue is my phone is on silent at night. I can't figure out how to set per app logic to break through silent

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

  2. #22

    Super poster

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post
    Guess the issue is my phone is on silent at night. I can't figure out how to set per app logic to break through silent

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
    Do you sleep that heavily that you wouldn't notice someone crowbarring your back door open?

  3. #23

    Double Godlike!

    original PM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    12,341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    Do you sleep that heavily that you wouldn't notice someone crowbarring your back door open?

  4. #24

    My post count is Majestic

    d000hg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    My house
    Posts
    32,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    Do you sleep that heavily that you wouldn't notice someone crowbarring your back door open?
    If I'm not sleeping in the same building at the time, probably.


    We don't all live in bedsits anyway, what if they break into the East wing while you're in the West?

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

  5. #25

    Super poster

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post
    If I'm not sleeping in the same building at the time, probably.


    We don't all live in bedsits anyway, what if they break into the East wing while you're in the West?

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
    Very good point. But surely you have staff for that?

  6. #26

    More fingers than teeth

    minestrone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    16,294

    Default

    To be honest if I was setting up a system I would not have the alarm go off first, have a dog bark alarm come from upstairs first for 20 seconds or something

    Last time the alarm went in the night I was running down the stairs with my tackle swinging and wouldn't have a clue if anyone was in the house as I couldn't hear anything.

    Anyway, avocet locks and good double glazing, that will stop most burglars.

  7. #27

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,852

    Default

    Speaking of locks I have one of these in addition to the standard key.

    SAMSUNG DIGITAL SECURITY LOCK (SHS-1321): Amazon.co.uk: Lighting

    Installed it mainly for convenience and to be higher and out of reach of the kids, not so much for security, as the large french door, just a foot away is much easier access point.

  8. #28

    Super poster

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    Speaking of locks I have one of these in addition to the standard key.

    SAMSUNG DIGITAL SECURITY LOCK (SHS-1321): Amazon.co.uk: Lighting

    Installed it mainly for convenience and to be higher and out of reach of the kids, not so much for security, as the large french door, just a foot away is much easier access point.
    The fire feature is interesting. How hot a temperature does the sensor have to detect before it'll automatically unlock?

    It also reminds me of this:

    Can't you hear me knocking? But I installed a smart knocker • The Register

  9. #29

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    The fire feature is interesting. How hot a temperature does the sensor have to detect before it'll automatically unlock?

    It also reminds me of this:

    Can't you hear me knocking? But I installed a smart knocker • The Register
    Mine doesn't have the fire thingy (not the exact model I linked, just similar) I remember reading it was like 50C+ or some such, and it was proof from external tampering.

    Also these are not smart locks, just digital, no connectivity whatsoever. Batteries lasted about 9m and started making distinct noise when running low and stop locking automatically. There is the standard connections for 9V battery outside for emergency, so there isn't much chance of getting locked out due to dead batteries. Also if you forget your chip/card inside you can use the code to enter. Really pleased with the performance so far, especially a that price point

  10. #30

    Super poster

    quackhandle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Bag End, The Shire, Middle Earth
    Posts
    2,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by original PM View Post
    Fact is generally burglars look for the easy and low risk option

    So things like
    1) Having a gravel drive
    2) Having security lights
    3) Having a visible alarm system
    4) Not having easy access to your back yard

    etc will always deter the casual burglar.

    However if someone targets you specifically for something you have then no system will protect you 100%.
    + 1 for this. Police said the scum are quick and quiet, so you need to make everything slow and loud.

    When I was burgled + had car nicked the one thing that shocked me was the ease of how they snapped the pvc door lock. So the big one for me was Anti-Snap locks.

    If you have the nice Golf R or Audi S3 on your drive your risk is very high of being burgled. Have used Verisure for last 2.5 years.

    qh
    Last edited by quackhandle; 3rd December 2019 at 14:25.
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •