• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are traditional house alarm systems a relic of the past?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are traditional house alarm systems a relic of the past?

Looking online, every alarm system now is 'smart'. My google searches certainly don't throw up the traditional house alarm system near the top of the results... you know, a hard-wired box with alarm code and motion detectors in each room.

It's all little gadgets from the likes of Yale, Arlo, Simplisafe. Often, traditional motion sensors are replaced by cameras which do the same job, plus let you spy from your phone.

Are traditional systems actually a thing of the past, or just not 'hip'? Are more modern systems better? What would/have you put in your home these days? What are the trusted brands?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Trusted brands?

Nothing that Zeity character worked on.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

If the house wasn't wired I would not be excited about getting it done.

But a 12 year old could build a wifi jammer so I just dont see the new ones being that secure.

And the NEST one I looked at didn't seem to have an outside alarm nor the ability to connect one. Just a microphone that they didn't tell you about. Seem to be more about them than you.

I would still go for the wired one and the 2 feck off alarms on the outside.

Comment

I don't think burglars now really care about alarms, even if they go off, the police won't attend. Even if the police attend, the perps won't be arrested and if they are they will be released under caution.

Comment

Incoming personal opinion with very little actual evidence: Personally, I'd much rather have a traditional (wired if possible) alarm system, by a traditional alarm manufacturer first. Ours is a Texecom, for example, which is a high end residential/commercial alarm system. It's been a rock solid, fire and forget system like alarms should be. I installed it myself and it was very very fiddly, though. It's got about a bazillion config options, lots of different kit you can buy, proper battery backup and so on. I imagine a good amount of R&D goes into their products.

As a rule, the stuff that's sold off the shelf to consumers is going to be naff. The stuff that's designed for a professional install, with links to an alarm monitoring system is the stuff you want. It'll be high end, have things like anti tamper (For example, my alarm knows if a sensor is active, short circuited or has been tampered with by using measured resistance values).

You won't see gimmicky smart products in commercial properties, banks or anywhere with insurance requirements!

Ours does actually have a Smart Component, but it's a bit naff if I'm honest. But it's a bolt-on component so I don't mind - does the trick, and sends out e-mails and such when something happens.

Again, very personally, I see all this smart tech as more of a toy than anything serious. I don't *dislike* it, and I confess to having a Nest Smoke alarm which I do like but I don't believe that alarm gear is going to be good "Alarm First" equipment if that makes sense. It all feels very cheap and gimmicky.
          Last edited by vwdan; 30 November 2019, 16:24.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            I don't think burglars now really care about alarms, even if they go off, the police won't attend. Even if the police attend, the perps won't be arrested and if they are they will be released under caution.
            I used to think this, but we rented a house and started setting the alarm out of habit. One night it went off because some scrotes had snapped the lock on our back door - they legged it the second the alarm went off (Unfortunately they got my wallet as I'd left it on the table) but had made it all the way to the sideboard where we kept the keys. I guarantee had that alarm not gone off we'd have lost a car, at least.

People may not pay huge amounts of attention to alarms, but if one property is alarmed and one isn't why would you make life hard work? And why bother to hang around with an alarm blaring when you could just leave and burgle somewhere else later on?

Comment

I live in a gated community in London with cctv and round the clock patrols not really that worried

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                I live in a gated community in London with cctv and round the clock patrols not really that worried

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                That's a very "Estate Agent" way of describing Wormwood Scrubs

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                  That's a very "Estate Agent" way of describing Wormwood Scrubs
                  Oddly, I thought Broadmoor was a better fit.

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                  It's got about a bazillion config options, lots of different kit you can buy, proper battery backup and so on. I imagine a good amount of R&D goes into their products.
                  You'd have to ask that Zeity chap about working on Scantronic and Menvier alarms.

And the joy of still being able to hear an alarm siren going off when it's wrapped in tape inside 15 russian doll type cardboard boxes.
                  Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 30 November 2019, 23:30.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

It really depends what you want to achieve. Just a siren to scare the burglars (and annoy the neighbors) or actual signal to a security firm that would send a team.

If it's for the former, I would go for a "smart" system with couple of window/door sensors and a siren. Sure the burglars can arrive with jammer etc. but you won't deter them much even with a wired system if they are motivated that much.

If it's the latter, maybe just get the security company to install whatever they recommend and whip out that contractor wallet.

Ultimately home security is about having more deterrent than valuables. There is no impenetrable security system, it's all about making your home the worst target nearby.

Comment

Working...
                    X