• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A level student thinking of becoming a coder.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
    I really like the idea of a Raspberry PI with a starter kit if the kid is keen. I bought my kid one and we just finished making it into a Alexa device and that was a great experience. We used the starter kit and breadboard to enable the LEDs.

If you don't want to spend that much, go for a BBC microbit (BBC micro:bit Starter Kit — Cool Components It's less than £20 and he can learn to use python to interact with sensors and leds
    Why a raspberry pi? Just get a laptop and let him do what he wants.

Raspberry pi's a great if you need hardware for particular reasons but they need a screen for work by which point you may as well get a laptop and use that.

Then Python, Javascript or even the Power Platform (if he is the sort of person who wants to see things appear quickly).
    Last edited by eek; 6 December 2019, 11:04.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Why a raspberry pi? Just get a laptop and let him do what he wants.

Raspberry pi's a great if you need hardware for particular reasons but they need a screen for work by which point you may as well get a laptop and use that.

Then Python, Javascript or even the Power Platform (if he is the sort of person who wants to see things appear quickly).
      Let them build their own computer. The Z80 is still available, as is the 65C02. There are plenty of designs available on the web and tbh if I was interviewing a software engineer I'd look more favourably at someone who has a grasp of hardware and the ability to write software that utilises resources efficiently.
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

I just write any old thing and tell them they have to invest in bigger resources.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
          Let them build their own computer. The Z80 is still available, as is the 65C02. There are plenty of designs available on the web and tbh if I was interviewing a software engineer I'd look more favourably at someone who has a grasp of hardware and the ability to write software that utilises resources efficiently.
          Or even a level lower. Chip design. There's a great elementary course here, and a journalistic, Pullitzer prize account of building a new chip (and computer), here.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Skip University and go for an apprenticeship
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              +1 to that - you will get the degree while also earning money and getting 3 years experience...

Comment

Definitely the way I'd go. I did thst and both my kids are so that would be my advice as well.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  +1 to that - you will get the degree while also earning money and getting 3 years experience...
                  You will also regularly get tulip faced and provide countless entertainment for the contractors you work with while you fall in and out of love with a fellow cohort
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

You will also regularly get tulip faced and provide countless entertainment for the contractors you work with while you fall in and out of love with a fellow cohort
                    Or shock as you discover car insurance can cost £2500 for a year and they have to pay it upfront as the insurance company only offers monthly payments on policies below £2000....

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                      If he is only thinking about it now and not coding now - does he really want to deep down?

My nephew has 10 years coding experience and he is only 20 (gets £50K a year the little git)

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                      I would totally agree with you but with a 22 and an 18 year old ive learnt it just doesn't happen now. I was staggered to see the number of kids coming to the end of their A levels without a clue what they want to do. A couple did but that vast majority had little idea and no passion as you say.

Apparently it's the way it is now, not like back in our day.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X