• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A level student thinking of becoming a coder.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    +1 for learning Python.

That and SQL should get you through most stuff.
    Agree. All the Ai/ML/Data Science stuff is going to continue to grow in importance, and Python is the best way into that.

And no matter what NoSQL stuff becomes trendy for a year or two before being replaced by the next fad, people always come back to proper relational databases and SQL.

(I know that mathematically speaking, most or all of them aren’t “proper” relational…)

Comment

Although R looks like witchcraft to me, it is very popular with some at ClientCo for data manipulation with presentation in Power BI (even though it requires far less data manipulation to get the same/better result in Excel...)

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        I've never had a definite idea of what my career should be and I don't think I'm unique in that. I've bumbled along doing what took my fancy at the time and managed ok. If I'd have had more drive or found a passion I may have been brilliant and changed the world! I'm happy to settle for being mediocre.
        The only thing I ever truly wanted was to join the RAF as aircrew, and I wasn't eligible. Always loves IT and was a hobby programmer in my youth, but it was never the intention to work in IT. My first world problem is I can't avoid the paycut to go and do something I'd be more "passionate" (Hate that term really, but you all know what I mean) about.

One day I'll find a way to get out At least IT let me fly planes in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          She's found a course she wants to do (Film music at LCOM) but Mrs Eek thinks it's not a proper university.
          It’s not.

And it’s not a proper degree either. At least the student loan never needs to be paid off. Or I’m wildly wrong and she’ll earn so much and become the next John Williams.

My view is that unless it’s a proper academic course then an apprenticeship is far more valuable.

/educationasnobbery
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I love Power Bi, I point it at the DB every few weeks and it makes really lovely geographic visualisation and I go "oh, that looks nice".

I work with a "data scientist" who refuses to even download it, "tried it once, can do it all in excel" like a 19th century weaver would shout at a loom. So I send him the pretty pictures to wind him up.

Comment

I wanted to be a lion tamer.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                It’s not.

And it’s not a proper degree either. At least the student loan never needs to be paid off. Or I’m wildly wrong and she’ll earn so much and become the next John Williams.

My view is that unless it’s a proper academic course then an apprenticeship is far more valuable.

/educationasnobbery
                Well if she is any good she will be off to John Williams (as he has a production line) - and if it all fails she ends up with a degree (from Hull uni) that will allow her to become a teacher. The thing is the course there is practical in that it covers how do you make money in music with students having to demonstrate their work which gives them the connections and commissions (a lot receive some in their third year) before they leave.. To be honest because of that I'm far happier with her going there than I am with her other options.
                Last edited by eek; 9 December 2019, 11:17.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  I love Power Bi, I point it at the DB every few weeks and it makes really lovely geographic visualisation and I go "oh, that looks nice".

I work with a "data scientist" who refuses to even download it, "tried it once, can do it all in excel" like a 19th century weaver would shout at a loom. So I send him the pretty pictures to wind him up.
                  When Power BI first arrived it wasn't much cop. However if you are still using Excel manually you really are that 19th century weaver.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    Well if she is any good she will be off to John Williams (as he has a production line) - and if it all fails she ends up with a degree (from Hull uni) that will allow her to become a teacher. The thing is the course there is practical in that it covers how do you make money in music with students having to demonstrate their work which gives them the connections and commissions (a lot receive some in their third year) before they leave.. To be honest because of that I'm far happier with her going there than I am with her other options.
                    Ye Olde Sloughe of Desponde used to do a Music Tech degree which included such novelties as a bit of elementary electronics.

Ye Newe Regime thought this Very Silly and thusly turned it into a BA so the techy bits could be left out.

I used to enjoy that course back in the day before it got revalidated & generally fecked up.
                    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 10 December 2019, 13:10. Reason: There be two "D"s in "desponde"
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      A friends son has ideas of becoming a developer but he's only on his first year A levels. Can you experience coders (or parents of budding coders) give me some advice how to take the first steps?

What language/platform should he start looking at?
                      Would a couple of udemy type courses help him start?
                      Would getting something like a Raspberry Pi with fun starter kit be a good investment?

Anything else that might let him have a dabble and see if it's the way he wants to go?

Many thanks

p.s. my accountant doesn't have a scoobies.
                      Show him this thread....

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...uring-sex.html
                      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                      X