Apple TV Apple TV
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Apple TV

TykeLike

Default Apple TV

Anyone got an Apple TV? When most stuff is streamed why does it need an internal memory? Most places only have the 32gb model in stock, will that be enough?
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Double Godlike!

Yes, don't know, never had a problem.

HTH
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Nice But Dim

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMac View Post
    Anyone got an Apple TV? When most stuff is streamed why does it need an internal memory? Most places only have the 32gb model in stock, will that be enough?
    Yep. Got the 32Gb version. You can download additional apps and games for it that require memory to store. l've never had an issue with memory being a problem.

Best Apple TV apps for 2020 | iMore

I use mine for running Zwift. More convenient that having to have a dedicated PC and easier to connect to a TV than a tablet or phone.

Zwift
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

My post count is Majestic

Yes, I’ve had three different versions - the old model 3, the model 4 (now called the HD I think), and now the 4K which I got on the day it was released.

Memory is for buffering and so on and, as DaveB says, games and other apps need memory to work with. (Come to that, the UI is really a bunch of apps that need memory to work with).

I had 32GB in the 4, but went for the full 64GB for the 4K because it’s only an extra £20 (£199 v. £179). I have absolutely no idea whether or not I’ve benefited in any way from this decision, as I only use it for watching video and occasionally streaming music and video from one of the Macs.

Ducklike

Somewhat like NF, I went for the 64GB version. Almost everything I've owned (phones, computers) eventually runs out of memory, a few years down the line, so I try to buy the max I can afford to be future-proof.

John Lewis have the 4K in stock online. Apple store ships free next day.

P.S. I love my ATV 4Ks (I have 2), it's the only device where the C4 app seems to work properly :-)

Contractor Among Contractors

I have the 4gen 32GB, not even close to filling it up. It's basically a screen-less tablet with modified OS. The memory is to store apps. As above, if the difference between the 32GB and 64GB is only £20 I would go for the latter.

It's way too overpriced for a streaming box and the remote is iffy. It's only advantage over much cheaper competing options is the AirPlay. If you are not using that, really no reason to pay "Apple tax". You can get an XBOX One S for £150

Ducklike

Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    It's only advantage over much cheaper competing options is the AirPlay. If you are not using that, really no reason to pay "Apple tax".
    Well... I have music and movies purchased from Apple, so there's that. I've not had any problems with the remote, although the touchpad thing can whizz one or two icons along more than expected!

These days I tend to buy movies so that they're accessible from more than one device at more than one location, which is convenient. I suppose I could get a Sky movies subscription instead

I also like that I can get other apps for the ATV, e.g. UDEMY for worky stuff, not just games (which I never have time to play anyway). I suppose you can also get those on a phone or tablet and cast to your TV.

Maybe I'm a little too much invested in Apple ...

Super poster

I have an Apple TV 4k. I got it recently. I am underwhelemed by what it does for quite a lot of money.
    A firestick 4k is less than £30.

What am I missing about Apple TV? It can't be that expensive just for the Apple tax, but I cannot see what it gives me that Firestick doesn't.
    See You Next Tuesday

Nice But Dim

Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    I have an Apple TV 4k. I got it recently. I am underwhelemed by what it does for quite a lot of money.

What am I missing about Apple TV? It can't be that expensive just for the Apple tax, but I cannot see what it gives me that Firestick doesn't.
    If all you want is to stream movies and TV shows on Amazon or Netflix with voice control, then yes, the Firestick is much better value. The ATV also lets you install other Apps that do more than just stream content. I use it to run Zwift, for example rather than having to have a full PC in the garage or faff about getting my iPad hooked up to the screen.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

TykeLike

Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post

We have a fire stick at the moment, and yes for streaming they are cheaper, however I am wanting it for AirPlay and Apple Arcade - Apple (UK) as the kids don't have enough games to play with a Switch, PS2 and PS4
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

― Marcus Aurelius