• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying Kindle books through your business?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re the VAT, if it's charged and claimable (i.e. not exempt like normal books are IIRC) then can claim it. Some get stressed over having proper vat receipts but you just need the vat number (which you'll have from amazon business anyway) and proof the price you paid included vat..

The only time the above may be an issue is if you have a vat inspection and they send a twerp looking for reasons to do you. Are you Al Capone? If not then it really isn't worth worrying about, worse case you find the vat wasn't reclaimable and they adjust your next vat payment accordingly, if it's only a few quid and not blatant fraud.

So in your situation I'd just buy it from personal account onto personal kindle, reclaim as expense, and reclaim VAT if allowed. Sorted.

[The above is based on historical experience backed up by my then professional accountant, and things may have since changed. ]
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Because a Kindle is how you read a Kindle book. Are you saying I can't put a business textbook on a bookshelf with my personal books? Or read a business book with my personal reading glasses on? Or look at an e-book on my personal laptop?
      If you're wanting a book to read, you need to be able to read the book. It's not enough to say "I (or my business) have bought the book, I (or my business) own a copy of the book, but it can't be read because I have no way to access it.
      So, if you want to be able to read a business book on kindle, then you need a business way of reading it. It's part of the book + reading thing.
      Solution: Download the Kindle app onto your business tablet/laptop, or buy a kindle for business.
      If you've already got one for personal use, then there's no risk of someone saying that you bought the second one for personal, also if it's only tied to a business account then that's another clear sign. And it means when you go on holiday, you're not risking taking work with you if you only take one kindle.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Might be worth seeing if the book is available direct from the publisher. Tech book publishers usually seem to offer an ebook package which includes Kindle (.mobi), epub, and PDF formats, none of them tied to any account.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          You can - my business card is attached to my amazon account for just such purchases.
          He said account so I thought he meant Amazon account.
          Buying it on my personal account using business card is no different from just expensing it surely?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Might be worth seeing if the book is available direct from the publisher. Tech book publishers usually seem to offer an ebook package which includes Kindle (.mobi), epub, and PDF formats, none of them tied to any account.
            That's a good shout. It's an old book: Stevens TCP vol 1, so I was actually surprised to find it on Kindle.

Comment

Install calibre. Then add the anti DRM plug in. Then strip the ebook of drm and use it as you will
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                1) What does your accountant say
                2) You have a vat receipt from a shop with no details on it - can you expense that?
                I'd do as eek suggests. Pay personally and claim it back as an expense.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  That's a good shout. It's an old book: Stevens TCP vol 1, so I was actually surprised to find it on Kindle.

this one: http://www.r-5.org/files/books/compu...strated-EN.pdf
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    Indeed. I would rather pay for a legit copy though I appreciate it.

I'd rather a hard copy but it's either very expensive or hard to track down

Comment

How much does the book cost? Are you overly stressing over £5?

Btw, the B word may bring relief on this occasion. PA: Brexit could help UK sidestep e-book VAT deadlock | The Bookseller In other non-EU countries (ahem), VAT on books an e.books are already aligned. Apparently the EU inability to do this is all down the Czechs.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X