Buying Kindle books through your business? Buying Kindle books through your business?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 23

My post count is Majestic

Default Buying Kindle books through your business?

I want to buy a technical book on Kindle, and I have an Amazon business account so this would mean I can reclaim the VAT and avoid mucking around claiming it as an expense.

But it appears I cannot buy it on my business Amazon account and deliver it to my personal Kindle or any device using my personal Amazon account.
    I _could_ use the Household feature but my wife and I already use that and you cannot have more than 2 adults.

It seems kind of broken - I thought business/personal accounts were more tightly integrated - but can anyone let me know if I'm correct, or is there some way around it?

More a matter of principle but frustrating.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

Godlike

I would expect a business and personal account to be entirely separate. They are separate legal entities after all.

I think you're engaging in a spot of wishful thinking.

If buying the book is truly a business expense then so would purchasing a Kindle device to read it on. Just assign it to your business account.

Or, install the Kindle app on your phone / tablet and log in to it with your business account when you want to read that book and swap log in when you want to read something else.

If you log out, all your local content is lost. Pita.

On your personal account you can gift someone an ebook, maybe that's an option to explore

Otherwise I'll just buy it personally and expense it, not worth the time. But I am right that means the option to reclaim VAT is lost?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

bored now

Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post
    If you log out, all your local content is lost. Pita.

On your personal account you can gift someone an ebook, maybe that's an option to explore

Otherwise I'll just buy it personally and expense it, not worth the time. But I am right that means the option to reclaim VAT is lost?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
    1) What does your accountant say
    2) You have a vat receipt from a shop with no details on it - can you expense that?
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Super poster

What's the worst that can happen if you buy it on your personal kindle using your company account?

TykeLike

Why would you want a business text book on your personal kindle? Shirley it's not wholly for business and then thus not claimable
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by woohoo View Post
    What's the worst that can happen if you buy it on your personal kindle using your company account?
    You can't. Your kindle is tied to one Amazon account at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMac View Post
    Why would you want a business text book on your personal kindle? Shirley it's not wholly for business and then thus not claimable
    Because a Kindle is how you read a Kindle book. Are you saying I can't put a business textbook on a bookshelf with my personal books? Or read a business book with my personal reading glasses on? Or look at an e-book on my personal laptop?

More seriously, can't my company buy me personally a technical book for me to use doing my job? Or should a business strictly own its books and allow developers to access them in a library? It seems unlikely anyone would care and we're in the wrong forum now but hey ho.

Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    2) You have a vat receipt from a shop with no details on it - can you expense that?
    I honestly have no idea. I have probably claimed about 3 things on expenses in the 12 years I've been contracting, and most of that time I was on the FRS anyway.

Super poster

Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post
    You can't. Your kindle is tied to one Amazon account at any time.
    Sure you can have multiple payment methods, perhaps I've remember incorrectly.

bored now

Quote Originally Posted by woohoo View Post
    Sure you can have multiple payment methods, perhaps I've remember incorrectly.
    You can - my business card is attached to my amazon account for just such purchases.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment