• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting rid of moles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting rid of moles

I've been having an going battle with the buggers making a right mess of the lawn. It's not just the molehills, they dig tunnels near the surface which collapse.

The missus doesn't want to kill them, so I've been researching non-lethal methods of getting rid of them. There's a lot of old wives tale remedies but nothing that really works. Most people have reported poor results with the sonic mole chasers you can buy.

A German guy tried electrifying his garden but that ended very badly (for him, not the moles).
    2007 Darwin Award: Whac-A-Mole

A guy on a US forum tried running a hose from the exhaust of his truck into the tunnels, but all he ended up doing was damaging the engine.

I was going to try what this guy eventually found to work (Celine Dion!) but opted for a slight variation.
    How to remove moles from your yard

A couple of weeks ago I stuck this siren (louder than a smoke alarm) in a metal tin, then hooked it up to an old car battery and buried it in one of the tunnels. So far, so good.

DC 12V 120dB Loud Wired Mini Indoor Accessory Horn Siren Sound Home Alarm System 6912851508892 | eBay
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Robot Mower! The moles do not like the constant vibration of the mower, plus the boundary wire's electromagnetic field. This is only "hearsay" from reports on another weirdo forum (since fortunately I don't have moles...I am in the market for a Worx Landroid M500 (WR141E) since I am now officially tired of mowing twice a week).
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
      Robot Mower! The moles do not like the constant vibration of the mower, plus the boundary wire's electromagnetic field. This is only "hearsay" from reports on another weirdo forum (since fortunately I don't have moles...I am in the market for a Worx Landroid M500 (WR141E) since I am now officially tired of mowing twice a week).
      I doubt one of those would be able to negotiate all the collapsed mole tunnels in my lawn!
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

I forgot to mention, last summer I tried what's known as a "bucket trap" to catch the mole alive. This was recommended on a few forums.

Basically, you dig a hole under a tunnel and put a plastic bucket in the bottom, then cover the hole with a board. The theory is the mole trundles along the tunnel, falls in the bucket and then can't get out.

It was a complete waste of time. The mole just kept pushing soil in to the bucket, which I had to empty every day. As the missus pointed out, I was just doing the mole's job for him, clearing his excavated soil.
        Last edited by DealorNoDeal; 14 January 2020, 14:20.

Comment

Apparently, human pee sprayed onto the mounds should keep them away, but you need to do it on a regular basis for several days.

Comment

crapping on each corner of the lawn, every night, at midnight, for one lunar month, works, too.

hth

Comment

The missus doesn't want to kill them,
              It's easier to ask for forgiveness that it is permission.

Full tank of acetylene down there, light, run like f**k, no moles. Sorry love.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                Apparently, human pee sprayed onto the mounds should keep them away, but you need to do it on a regular basis for several days.
                I thought that was for deterring foxes

Or making hats...

Comment

my solution works for most wildlife, you'll find

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                    my solution works for most wildlife, you'll find
                    What it is about the solution you produce that is so effective?

Are you one of those people whose wee smells funny if they eat asparagus?

Comment

Working...
                    X