• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New monitors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Worked with a guy that was the same but he was nearly blind (honestly).
    Same. Still funny though.
    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

It's arrived. Jolly nice it is too. I need another one.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
        If you still need more screen real estate, or split work and other stuff, there's free virtual desktop software.

Currently using Dexpot with Windows 10 on my 40" 4k monitor, mainly so I can have one desktop with all my work stuff and others with shortcuts to non-work stuff.

Got the background colours set to differentiate so easy to see which virtual desktop I'm on before wondering where the shortcuts have gone, and set it to use keyboard shortcuts (Alt+1, Alt+2 etc) to switch between them so no visible clue to my hidden desktops if I've got anything sensitive on there.

I was sure Windows had finally added multiple desktops? Maybe only on servers? I know it's a feature on MacOS though I've never learned how it works. One desktop is confusing enough
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          I was sure Windows had finally added multiple desktops? Maybe only on servers? I know it's a feature on MacOS though I've never learned how it works. One desktop is confusing enough
          It does: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...tiple-desktops
          ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
          Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

I'm a simple person...how does having multiple desktops give you more screen real estate? If you're effectively switching between windows, that doesn't give you more space to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              I'm a simple person...how does having multiple desktops give you more screen real estate? If you're effectively switching between windows, that doesn't give you more space to work with.
              Task management - desktop 1 is for work, desktop 2 contains email allowing them to be hidden while you concentrate on what you need to do today.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

If i'm doing video editing, the video is open on one screen, the editing software on another. When developing, I have the editor on one, and whatever reference I might be using on the other. This gets more critical is my eyes get older...
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  Task management - desktop 1 is for work, desktop 2 contains email allowing them to be hidden while you concentrate on what you need to do today.
                  Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  If i'm doing video editing, the video is open on one screen, the editing software on another. When developing, I have the editor on one, and whatever reference I might be using on the other. This gets more critical is my eyes get older...
                  I get both of those use cases but you don't need multiple desktops to achieve it, that's where I'm struggling

Comment

I can look at three different things at once and not faff with zoning. Call me a heathen, but I am skeptical that zoning plays nicely with all software, like screen-sharing software (does it?). Also, I never liked wrap-around shades.

Comment

I get both of those use cases but you don't need multiple desktops to achieve it, that's where I'm struggling
                      If you run every application full-screen then sure. If you perhaps like to have two word documents open side-by-side as you are developing, simple alt-tab doesn't work as smoothly to toggle between coding and Word.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X