• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PTP Internet bridge between buildings, checking I got it right

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    Preparation now saves time later. You should have had a trench built to provide power to the summer house and ensured suitable other cables were ran at the same time.
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    the cabin has a separate power supply and there is no link between the two buildings. And when I asked (here) about laying CAT6 people advised me not to, IIRC due to change in altitude or something.
    The above was a reply to the last time you made this comment. Perhaps you'll read it this time.

The question is about what to do now not what might've been done differently in the past. Digging a 20m trench seems unlikely to be a better solution at this point in time.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

want to buy a magic wand??
      it'll fix everything, honest.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
        want to buy a magic wand??
        it'll fix everything, honest.
        I was thinking a PtP kit. I never realised getting WiFi 20m LOS needed magic

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Comment

Assuming I go wireless, repurposing an old router should work in just the same way though, right? The PtP box in the out-building will post a short ethernet cable through the wall which acts as if it IS a (slow) cable to the house as far as the cabin is concerned?
          Like most of us I have a box full of old routers and wireless modems and access points which I would love to see in use.
          I don't know about PtP. Regarding old routers, yes they can be re-purposed as wireless access points, but they cannot be made into wireless bridges (ie. a wireless link connecting two wired networks).

Just to add that the above weatherproof cable was run underground.

Comment

We have a private overhead power cable to our house.
            We're having a second supply/meter installed maybe 40-50m back down the same overhead cable for the log cabin we're building in our grounds.

It's a bit far for WiFi repeaters so I wondered if there's any chance homeplug might travel outside our domestic wiring?

Otherwise we'll either get mobile internet or see if we can wing a cat 6 cable down there. We'd likely want internet for security cameras so I'm a bit dubious about 4g... Not for the quality but the data/cost.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
            For reference.

This 'ere mains supply, how many overhead wires are there?

One or two?

(Obviously there's two, but are they in the same overall insulation or two separate wires?)

Do these wires or wire come from Your Very Own stepdown transformer on a pole?

In other words, exactly how rural is this?
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
              For reference.

This 'ere mains supply, how many overhead wires are there?

One or two?

(Obviously there's two, but are they in the same overall insulation or two separate wires?)

Do these wires or wire come from Your Very Own stepdown transformer on a pole?

In other words, exactly how rural is this?
              Is this relevant or are you scoping out my joint

We've got a string of old-fashioned wooden poles up our lane from the road which service our property alone. It's a single cable - insulated and pretty chunky though as you say I'm sure it's two fat single-core cables intertwined. There's no box where it reaches the house so I think it must be 240V with a transformer a few hundred metres away.

Comment

Just wondered really.

Chap up the road a bit has a transformer on a pole fed from the 3 phase 3kV3 lines that go all the way to the top of the hill for the farms.

The feed over the road to his house is a single cable, "live" and "neutral" with I suppose "neutral" being defined as the wire that's grounded at the pole mounted transformer (I dunno really, but I assume that's how it works).

I was wondering how the alternative of two widely spaced lines would transmit the rf from a powerline interface thingie since the impedance of such a line is wildly different from the twin & earth found buried in the walls of a house.

The fat enclosed twin cable is probably fairly similar to twin and earth from the impedance perspective.

Your installation is TT so presumably there's an earth electrode at your house & an earth electrode at the cabin.

Which might lead to a difference in the earth potential between the two.

I'd be a bit twitchy about connecting between the two with CAT6 in case of circulating currents in the screen.

Like a giant hum loop.

Not to mention what happens with a near by lightning strike.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Indeed, we have earth rods at each location. Potential difference is one reason I shied away from a cabled approach though I didn't really know what the actual problem was

Comment

Working...
                  X