• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Salesforce - worth getting into?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    Truism for many a crap IT software product where they don't need to keep the techies and everyday users happy when they can get the best sales people (aka bullshiners, they shine the product that is a load of bull, may have just invented that ) to sell to the management that are in the main clueless about IT, they just want to look good to their boss and up the chain that goes.

So from a techy point of view try to find skills that don't cause an undue amount of stress in the daily usage, unless it's short term and the money makes it worth while. If you can get similar money for a better worklife experience then only a masochist chooses the harder path.

Crap software is the bane of many an IT career, choose your path wisely.
    Exactly this, better ways to make a living, if you can.

Comment

“Bows to your string”?!?
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        “Bows to your string”?!? [emoji33]
        I blame the mellenials always trying to change things to make it appear new and trendy.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

No - train in Dynamics - think that will be more useful over the coming years.

just me 2p's worth.

Comment

Ah this thread takes me back to when I was young and had a chance to work at Salesforce many years ago, documented here for eternity:

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ght=salesforce

I really should have listened to Scoobos and Cojak back then. Can you imagine the value of my stock options, had I joined Salesforce back in 2013? The stock was at $40 back then and is now at $185. And there was a 4-for-1 stock split in 2013!

Rose-tinted perhaps, but it hurts to think of what could have been.

And now, in 2020, I will soon being facing unemployment due to the Tories' IR35 change and being outdated with my skillset. I rode the wave too long.

Life can be so cruel.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
              Ah this thread takes me back to when I was young and had a chance to work at Salesforce many years ago, documented here for eternity:

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ght=salesforce

I really should have listened to Scoobos and Cojak back then. Can you imagine the value of my stock options, had I joined Salesforce back in 2013? The stock was at $40 back then and is now at $185. And there was a 4-for-1 stock split in 2013!

Rose-tinted perhaps, but it hurts to think of what could have been.

And now, in 2020, I will soon being facing unemployment due to the Tories' IR35 change and being outdated with my skillset. I rode the wave too long.

Life can be so cruel.
              Well the Dynamics and PowerApps wave is actually just getting started. If you want to join the ride start learning...
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Yep, if it is one or t’other I’d go for Dynamics. I’m not quite so confident of the stock options mind...
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  Yep, if it is one or t’other I’d go for Dynamics. I’m not quite so confident of the stock options mind...
                  I wouldn't be joining MS and hoping their share options play out (they seriously can't be any upside left)..

Joining an ISV riding MS's coat tails within a booming market could however be very profitable (at least I'm hoping so).
                  Last edited by eek; 10 February 2020, 12:46.

Comment

How does one get into Dynamics, not having any related/relevant technical experience?

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                      How does one get into Dynamics, not having any related/relevant technical experience?
                      Start at Microsoft Dynamics 365 - Learn | Microsoft Docs

Create a trial at https://powerapps.microsoft.com/

and think through a business process you understand and try to automate it within the system...

Also there are a number of App in a Day courses around at the moment I will see if I can find the UK - see App in a day Event Web page

London tomorrow, Reading Feb 26th...

Virtual one is Virtual App In a Day Free Registration – Pragmatic Works Training (it's from August last year so it may be slightly out of date in a few places).
                      Last edited by eek; 10 February 2020, 13:08.

Comment

Working...
                      X