• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Salesforce - worth getting into?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to add that my opinion is not my opinion alone, look out there at the microsoft and other forums. People are not happy with the licensing changes. It's very apparent that microsoft just priced themselves out of the majority of what should be the ideal use cases for the power platform.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
      $10 per app per user per month is extremely expensive when you're talking about a powerapp that is basically just sitting on top of an existing application or 2 and offering a consolidated output or input or both.

Remember you're not paying $10 per user per month for a subscription to an application. You are paying $10 per user per month for the rights to build your own application.

This only works $$ with a low number of users. These solutions could be deployed to a sales team for example or possibly to management or a head office or possibly for the solution you described but an organization wide deployment wouldn't make business sense. It's unfortunate because some of the best use cases for powerapps and powerapps portal are at the bottom rung of your organization.

Powerapps portals licensing structure is even more outrageous. It only works $$ with a really low volume model. Even medium sized company with an average number of customers or vendors will find that it's much cheaper to get their partner to custom build and support a portal.

Some of the most widely used and flexible connectors got moved to premium as well. The SQL connector and the CDS connector for example.

The whole thing doesn't make sense to me, Microsoft is trying to push people to using CDS but then makes the CDS a premium connector. Microsoft is trying to push organizations to creating their own portals but then charges an exorbitant rate for the licensing that makes it cost effective for only the smallest volume applications.

I just think this isn't the way to get more of an organizations tech into the microsoft sphere.
      Jeez SQL is premium now? so that leaves what, static excel input? Sharepoint lists?! Nice job microsoft....yikes for the smallfry guys

Comment

$10 per app per user per month is extremely expensive when you're talking about a powerapp that is basically just sitting on top of an existing application or 2 and offering a consolidated output or input or both.

Remember you're not paying $10 per user per month for a subscription to an application. You are paying $10 per user per month for the rights to build your own application.

This only works $$ with a low number of users. These solutions could be deployed to a sales team for example or possibly to management or a head office or possibly for the solution you described but an organization wide deployment wouldn't make business sense. It's unfortunate because some of the best use cases for powerapps and powerapps portal are at the bottom rung of your organization.

Powerapps portals licensing structure is even more outrageous. It only works $$ with a really low volume model. Even medium sized company with an average number of customers or vendors will find that it's much cheaper to get their partner to custom build and support a portal.

Some of the most widely used and flexible connectors got moved to premium as well. The SQL connector and the CDS connector for example.

The whole thing doesn't make sense to me, Microsoft is trying to push people to using CDS but then makes the CDS a premium connector. Microsoft is trying to push organizations to creating their own portals but then charges an exorbitant rate for the licensing that makes it cost effective for only the smallest volume applications.

I just think this isn't the way to get more of an organizations tech into the microsoft sphere.
        It's $10 a month for a platform on which you can actually run very complex applications (say BCA's lease car inspection software or one of mine which is an Austrian Bank's bank teller software) and is a rather great deal when it was previously $95 (minimum $40 after all discounts) for the same software when you don't need any of Dynamics bits. So it does do slightly more just something sitting on top of an existing application. And that $10 a month includes 2 apps (we usually offer the Outlook Client on top when selling our CRM solution..

As for premium connectors with that same $10 a month license they are included in the price see Pricing - Power Apps - so yes things were moved to premium connectors but its not exactly difficult or expensive to get access to them..

Finally apart from the authentication costs (something on which my opinion is well known within the product team) $100 for 100,000 views is a very reasonable price when a similar wordpress integration is $200-500 a month (and again when you compare it to Salesforce prices its a significant discount and when you compare it to an episerver / sitecore ($25k before you begin))..

So I'm really not sure where you are getting your ideas from - the people we are selling our solutions and the platform to are very happy for what their get for their money...
        Last edited by eek; 7 March 2020, 18:50.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          It's $10 a month for a platform on which you can actually run very complex applications (say BCA's lease car inspection software or one of mine which is an Austrian Bank's bank teller software) and is a rather great deal when it was previously $95 (minimum $40 after all discounts) for the same software when you don't need any of Dynamics bits. So it does do slightly more just something sitting on top of an existing application. And that $10 a month includes 2 apps (we usually offer the Outlook Client on top when selling our CRM solution..

As for premium connectors with that same $10 a month license they are included in the price see Pricing - Power Apps - so yes things were moved to premium connectors but its not exactly difficult or expensive to get access to them..

Finally apart from the authentication costs (something on which my opinion is well known within the product team) $100 for 100,000 views is a very reasonable price when a similar wordpress integration is $200-500 a month (and again when you compare it to Salesforce prices its a significant discount and when you compare it to an episerver / sitecore ($25k before you begin))..

So I'm really not sure where you are getting your ideas from - the people we are selling our solutions and the platform to are very happy for what their get for their money...
          Are you working for microsoft or a microsoft partner?

$100 for 100,000 views is reasonable I do agree with that but $200 for 100 logins is pure insanity and my biggest objection since I would absolutely looooove to be able to use powerapps portals as a solution but can't with that pricing. There is just no way to make that work except for low volume occasional usage which there isnt much of a use case for because there is little added value in handling those interactions on a portal.

I hope there will be a change when the first few months of licensing numbers come in.

Comment

Are you working for microsoft or a microsoft partner?

$100 for 100,000 views is reasonable I do agree with that but $200 for 100 logins is pure insanity and my biggest objection since I would absolutely looooove to be able to use powerapps portals as a solution but can't with that pricing. There is just no way to make that work except for low volume occasional usage which there isnt much of a use case for because there is little added value in handling those interactions on a portal.

I hope there will be a change when the first few months of licensing numbers come in.
            Formerly Microsoft (2.5 years for Consulting Services) but I left to become an ISV / Partner (it's an easy sell when you start the conversation we are $1000 per user per year less than Dynamics by itself).

But nice to see your main complaint is the login charge - it's mine as well. If you are a partner complain as it's only going to be complaints that solve the issue...
            Last edited by eek; 7 March 2020, 20:55.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
              Both as in Dynamics and Salesforce?
              Add Netsuite (oracle) in your bucket too.

Comment

Working...
              X