How easy is it to put a plug on a network cable? How easy is it to put a plug on a network cable? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 11 to 12 of 12

Nervous Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post
    When we put in network sockets in the house I bought a little kit but the handyman wired them up; is it the same stuff I need?
    No, it's different. Wiring sockets requires a punchdown tool, wiring plugs requires a crimper.

Should I use a bit of proper cable, or hack up a spare patch cable? Can I even remove the plug and put it back on?
    You can take the end off an existing cable but you will not be able to re-use the plug. It does mean you would only need to crimp one end rather than two. This assumes that you can see how the un-removed plug has been wired - not everyone wires to the EIA/TIA 568A and 568B standards.

When you are borrowing a crimper, also borrow a stripper (I use this one) and a tester to make the job much simpler.

My post count is Majestic

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEyedJacks View Post
    Alternately use PowerLine network adapters and avoid drilling holes in your walls altogether?
    I specifically want wired network here. Used those and fallen out of love with them now we have a small wired network and rely on WiFi for the rest

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing