• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How easy is it to put a plug on a network cable?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    When we put in network sockets in the house I bought a little kit but the handyman wired them up; is it the same stuff I need?
    No, it's different. Wiring sockets requires a punchdown tool, wiring plugs requires a crimper.

Should I use a bit of proper cable, or hack up a spare patch cable? Can I even remove the plug and put it back on?
    You can take the end off an existing cable but you will not be able to re-use the plug. It does mean you would only need to crimp one end rather than two. This assumes that you can see how the un-removed plug has been wired - not everyone wires to the EIA/TIA 568A and 568B standards.

When you are borrowing a crimper, also borrow a stripper (I use this one) and a tester to make the job much simpler.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadEyedJacks View Post
      Alternately use PowerLine network adapters and avoid drilling holes in your walls altogether?
      I specifically want wired network here. Used those and fallen out of love with them now we have a small wired network and rely on WiFi for the rest

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
      X