• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oi Suity (or other Raspberry PI peeps)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oi Suity (or other Raspberry PI peeps)

I am looking to play around with a Raspberry PI, ideally I want to do something along the lines of this:

Raspberry Pi DS18B20 Temperature Sensor Tutorial - Circuit Basics

The PI and the DS18B20+ seem straight forward, any tips on breadboard or the connecting clips needed?

Secondly, instead of just outputting the temperature via SSH to the command line, I want to try and visualise it in some sort of dashboard and possibly set up some alerting to web hooks like slack.

Any tips on the best way to do that. Don't mine sending it to a "proper" server etc to show the results
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Breadboards: rapid electronics or Amazon.

Some of those funny single socket single plug wires: dunno.

Here the temperature reading is t=28625, which means a temperature of 28.625 degrees Celsius.
    Confusing resolution with accuracy, which is +/- 0.5 deg.

The temperature is somewhere between 29.125 and 28.125 deg C.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Some of the Raspberry Pi kits come complete with breadboard and connecting wires. Looks like you'll need two though.

Here's my favourite place to buy Raspberry Pi stuff:
      Raspberry Pi — Cool Components

Over Christmas I made a photoframe for the wife that displays the images from her Google Photos, shows the weather and train times. Used the Magic Mirror software for that.

Recently I gave my son a Raspberry Pi 4 for his birthday and we made a minecraft server that works amazingly well. Lots of fun.

Comment

There are numerous types of display available, and various methods of getting data to them.

Have a look at the Pimoroni website...
        Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

A Pi is really overkill for interfacing to a one-wire sensor, an ESP8266 based board would cost much less (under $5) and do the job.

Worth looking into, I have an internet enabled beer fridge controlled using one

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
            Recently I gave my son a Raspberry Pi 4 for his birthday and we made a minecraft server that works amazingly well. Lots of fun.
            Do you have a link for this? (not the server, the instructions to create it!)

qh
            He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
              Do you have a link for this? (not the server, the instructions to create it!)

qh
              Sure, here's the best instructions we found:

Raspberry Pi Minecraft Server Setup Script w/ Startup Service

At first we tried the install with just an SD card and it was unusable. Then we bought an SSD card (Kingston A400 SSD 120GB SATA 3 2.5” Solid State Drive) and the adaptor (StarTech 2.5″ SATA to USB 3.0 Adapter) and spent ages trying to get it to boot from the SSD card. After a LOT of faffing around, we've got a server that runs on the pi and works great. At my kid's birthday party we had 5 people connected at once with no lag or problems.

By the way, Amazon forced me to buy two of the startech adaptors so I've got an extra I'll send to you for a fiver.

Here's instructions on the SSD card thing:
              Raspberry Pi Cheap SSD Upgrade Guide | James A. Chambers

And here's how to set up the pi to boot from it:
              Raspberry Pi 4 USB Boot Config Guide for SSD / Flash Drives

Let me know how you get on

Comment

Thanks a lot for this, I bought my lad the full LABISTS kit for Christmas but have had a few issues with it (yes it is bit of a faff to setup). It had Debian pre-loaded but because I am connectioning via hdmi I have to edit or create a config file but fooked if I know how to do this.

Then the micro sd card snapped so had to buy a new one, but I like your idea of using an ssd.

qh
                He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                  Thanks a lot for this, I bought my lad the full LABISTS kit for Christmas but have had a few issues with it (yes it is bit of a faff to setup). It had Debian pre-loaded but because I am connectioning via hdmi I have to edit or create a config file but fooked if I know how to do this.

Then the micro sd card snapped so had to buy a new one, but I like your idea of using an ssd.

qh
                  I'd suggest that you just download the normal raspbian OS and start from there. That should allow you to just plug in a hdmi monitor, a usb mouse and keyboard and away you go. It's not very hard to load the OS onto an SD card and you can always switch back to Debian later.

Actually, just thinking about it, it's not hard to edit that config file. It's on a partition of the SD card that's formatted for windows so you can just put the card into a windows computer and edit the files as needed.

My kid and I did a really fun project where we installed Alexa on the pi following a tutorial from Amazon. We used a usb microphone and an external speaker and ended up with a working Alexa system.

Comment

Working...
                  X