VDSL bonding VDSL bonding
Posts 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: VDSL bonding

Contractor Among Contractors

Default VDSL bonding

Anyone doing this?

I could do with a bit more speed as I'm almost 100% remote and doing a lot of stuff with AWS. Pulling and pushing large java dump files is getting a bit tedious. Lots of places will sell me a 2nd VDSL line, but then I'm apparently on my own, and I'm yet to find a router that supports it (as opposed to just failover/load balancing).
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

bored now

Quote Originally Posted by b0redom View Post
    Anyone doing this?

I could do with a bit more speed as I'm almost 100% remote and doing a lot of stuff with AWS. Pulling and pushing large java dump files is getting a bit tedious. Lots of places will sell me a 2nd VDSL line, but then I'm apparently on my own, and I'm yet to find a router that supports it (as opposed to just failover/load balancing).
    You won't find one by itself as I believe it needs to be bond at both your end (data is split / combined) and at the other end of the line (combined / split) before you can successfully use it.

Bonded DSL: Three and Four ADSL Lines | Increase Broadband Speed has an overview of one providers solution
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

More time posting than coding

Another option, if I need to work with large files (and don't need them.to be physically local to me) I'd just spin up a VM in whatever cloud solution I'm using and use that.

So if I (for example) need to pull down a few gb of files, change some bits and shove them back up... There's no reason for that to come all the way down to my machine.

Super poster

as eek says. You need both ends. ISPs used to offer muli-link PPP (MLPPP) for a premium price. Not seen it for years though as they'd trather sell you a 100Mb/s fixed circuit for a few £k per month.

What you can do is use some static routing to use a diffeernt DSL router for different endpoints.

EG. AWS server 100.100.100.1 is routed via 192.168.0.1, adn AWS server 100.100.100.2 is routed via 192.168.0.2
    This can be achieved with a router in front of 2 broadband routers. Or even static routes on Windows using 'route add'.

If you want to increase the bandwidth to the same endpoint (IP address and port) then you're stuffed.
    See You Next Tuesday