• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Home surveillance cameras

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home surveillance cameras

I'm wanting to invest in a home surveillance system so I come here to ask for advice rather than googling it!

What are your thoughts and experiences with those?

Requirements: inside & outside, iOS app, accessible via Windows and macOS (browser I guess), 'decent' make that bothers with updating their firmware to fix bugs (that leaves out 90% of those no name Chinese thingies).

Another important thing would be to be able to configure recording in a place of my own choosing, so not having to participate in those money printing subscription plans that are available for most of them.

Originally posted by zazou View Post
    I'm wanting to invest in a home surveillance system so I come here to ask for advice rather than googling it!

What are your thoughts and experiences with those?

Requirements: inside & outside, iOS app, accessible via Windows and macOS (browser I guess), 'decent' make that bothers with updating their firmware to fix bugs (that leaves out 90% of those no name Chinese thingies).

Another important thing would be to be able to configure recording in a place of my own choosing, so not having to participate in those money printing subscription plans that are available for most of them.
    Post a photo of your au pair and we can work out your budget by seeing how hot she is
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Does it need to be silent and no lights?

Will you be using it in a steamy place like a bathroom and require a heated lens etc ?

Wired or wireless ? (Including power)

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

I have a DLink camera that I've had in a box for ages and decided to play about with yesterday.

I wouldn't recommend it for a proper home security installation. It's fine for the very basic nosey need I sort of have!

It does allow you to save images to a location of your choosing, mine go to my home NAS when movement is detected. I also linked it to my Gmail so I get an email with a few images when movement is detected. You can also use a mobile app to log into the camera and see live images.

Comment

We've got a hikvision 8 camera with box hidden away system. App on the phone and pc allows us to monitor remotely. It can be viewed playback etc on a TV as long as its hardwired in with HDMI cable but you need a wireless mouse dongle in the box so can't be too far away.

Has all the bells and whistles you'd expect from a professional system. You can set up zones on the view in the view in a grid format where any changes in those squares auto alerts you and saves a picture etc. That said I've never done this as there are so many trees around its not really viable.

Not that cheap but it's a one of cost for years so why scrimp? Had ours for over 7 years now.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            I have a DLink camera that I've had in a box for ages and decided to play about with yesterday.
            It seems to be working very well and the movement alerts work very nicely. Might actually be able to go home soon.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Raspi V3 (Or V4 with suitable camera box) running MotionEyeOS (Secondary cameras work well with Raspi ZeroW does work but limited by processor for HD work)
              Infrared Motion Sensing Camera
              Can monitor multiple cameras
              Run Webhooks to IFTT notifications
              Store recordings on GoogleDrive / DropBox
              Accessible over the T'internet / Local Network via Browser

I've been using one for 3 years now. Brilliant project.

Install MotionEyeOS on Raspberry Pi | Random Nerd Tutorials
              I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Have a Nest IQ outdoor camera. Would recommend it but have had issues with it recently, Nest/Google support are fantastic and have sent out a replacements.

So when it works, it works really well.

Comment

I've got 5 Hikvision cameras wired to a same brand network video recorder via power over ethernet.

Good brand and all works well. I've built it up over the last 12 months adding 3 cams in this lockdown period.

The app is pretty good too.
                  Last edited by adubya; 1 May 2020, 18:03.

Comment

Note to self

Above people that have camera for people taking a poo are slightly weird

Why do you need 5 / 10 cameras ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Working...
                    X