• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Home surveillance cameras

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Why do you need 5 / 10 cameras ?
    It makes the editing and post-production easier. HTH.
    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
      Note to self

Above people that have camera for people taking a poo are slightly weird

Why do you need 5 / 10 cameras ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
      When one's estate cover much of Berkshire it makes it far easier to work out which hedge the gardener is banging the missus behind.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        We've got a hikvision 8 camera with box hidden away system. App on the phone and pc allows us to monitor remotely. It can be viewed playback etc on a TV as long as its hardwired in with HDMI cable but you need a wireless mouse dongle in the box so can't be too far away.

Has all the bells and whistles you'd expect from a professional system. You can set up zones on the view in the view in a grid format where any changes in those squares auto alerts you and saves a picture etc. That said I've never done this as there are so many trees around its not really viable.

Not that cheap but it's a one of cost for years so why scrimp? Had ours for over 7 years now.

I think the above is a good example of why you shouldn't rely on even IT contractors for technical advice.

Hikvision cameras have numerous unfixed vulnerabilities and are also included in various botnets due to hard-coded passwords. If your home firewall (what, you don't have one?) isn't set up appropriately then once the camera is compromised, your network kit may be accessed and compromised. This is before you even consider that the images themselves are compromised, which for me is the reason I don't have any IoT devices in our houses and instead choose to stick to living in areas we actually want to live in; friendly society, low crime.

If you really must go down this mad IoT route then join an InfoSec forum and, for most, you'll get access to plenty of data that shows you why you should avoid almost every Chinese-owned camera brand. I would also consider a separate wired network for the cameras, keeping it separate from your main network unless you know what you're doing. Consider the function of the system first and then work your way around that. A friend VPNs to their home network DMZ,using certificates, and then connects to a URL webpage to view their camera info. You can also configure a permanent VPN for certain URLs if you wish on LineageOS and some android versions.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
          This is before you even consider that the images themselves are compromised, which for me is the reason I don't have any IoT devices in our houses and instead choose to stick to living in areas we actually want to live in; friendly society, low crime.
          When did it become a binary decision between having IoT devices or living in a low crime area?

Does installing, eg, NEST suddenly make your area high crime? What if your neighbour installs it? Do you then need to break in and steal it, making it all self perpetuating?

Comment

I think the above is a good example of why you shouldn't rely on even IT contractors for technical advice.

Hikvision cameras have numerous unfixed vulnerabilities and are also included in various botnets due to hard-coded passwords. If your home firewall (what, you don't have one?) isn't set up appropriately then once the camera is compromised, your network kit may be accessed and compromised. This is before you even consider that the images themselves are compromised, which for me is the reason I don't have any IoT devices in our houses and instead choose to stick to living in areas we actually want to live in; friendly society, low crime.

If you really must go down this mad IoT route then join an InfoSec forum and, for most, you'll get access to plenty of data that shows you why you should avoid almost every Chinese-owned camera brand. I would also consider a separate wired network for the cameras, keeping it separate from your main network unless you know what you're doing. Consider the function of the system first and then work your way around that. A friend VPNs to their home network DMZ,using certificates, and then connects to a URL webpage to view their camera info. You can also configure a permanent VPN for certain URLs if you wish on LineageOS and some android versions.
            What a twat.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hikvision is for viewing all the hiks that live north of Bury near NLUK who come down from the hills on Saturdays to marvel at Bury market and point at planes.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                Hikvision is for viewing all the hiks that live north of Bury near NLUK who come down from the hills on Saturdays to marvel at Bury market and point at planes.
                And steam trains.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Sounds like a load of needless dick swinging.

Comment

I have had a no name Chinese one for years, it had a standard video out (all 8 channels like the screen) so I connected that to a £6 modulator and mixed it with the Aerial feed so I can see it on all my analogue capable TVs. It has helped the Police a few times as it covers most of the public areas in the close.

One of my favourite cameras is a peephole one in the front door so I can see if its the kids coming back (ignore the wife has a key) or a delivery (answer the door and if in conference take the laptop). Not great quality but very handy.

Box about to be replaced as I want to mix network cameras as well.

Also anyone with a poorly configured firewall is screwed anyway.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

bit late to the party and obviously new to the forum but i recently used the Victure Security Outdoor Camera 1080P, awsome camera IMO and a good price. Lots of robbing going on at the moment

Comment

Working...
                      X