• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Java debugger stopped working in Eclipse 2020-03

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Java debugger stopped working in Eclipse 2020-03

I'm busy writing a plug-in for Eclipse, when all of a sudden, Java debugging stops. The log shows the error:

!MESSAGE Unable to find location of java.lang.Thread.setName() in debuggee JVM, for type java.lang.Thread

Tried restarting, rebooting... but no joy. Any ideas? (Note, as I'm developing a plug-in for Eclipse, I can't use another better IDE).
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

People still use Java?

lol

Comment

Originally posted by cannon999 View Post
      People still use Java?

lol
      Yes. And make money from it. lol

Comment

Prefer IDEA but, when I need to use Eclipse, I always use the one prior (so December 19 in this case) because the early releases do tend to be buggy in my experience.

What jdk are you using?

Comment

If you have antivirus software installed, I would disable that too (temporarily) - can sometimes interfere in unexpected ways. For example, I've had problems in Eclipse with both McAfee and Acronis.

Comment

Oh, and it's unlikely you'll get a better answer here than searching TBH... but you never know, I guess

Comment

I'm stuck with Eclipse as I'm writing a plugin for ABAP Development Tools.

It's strange - it was all working fine. No updates, not even a reboot - and then suddenly stopped working. (I didn't change nuffink, guv). Not on that laptop at the moment - but yeah, latest jdk. There's a bunch of exception dumps coming up in the .log file. I even tried doing a new install - it was even worse!

I'll try 2019-12 and see what happens. I know that I'm unlikely to get anything helpful here, but yeah, you never know.

Comment

Any OOMEs in the log? All bets are off w/r to weird behaviour at that point.

Edit: and I would definitely try to turn off your av. I distinctly recall jdk classes not being found in some cases when av has interfered.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  Yes. And make money from it. lol
                  People also make money from using technologies from this century

Comment

Originally posted by cannon999 View Post
                    People also make money from using technologies from this century
                    People also make money from using appropriate tools for the job/client and not getting too ideological or caught up with fads. I’ll code in more or less anything that is the best solution for the client and pays my exorbitant rate

Comment

Working...
                    X