• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Java debugger stopped working in Eclipse 2020-03

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    I’ll code in more or less anything that is the best solution for the client and pays my exorbitant rate
    This is my approach.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
      People also make money from using appropriate tools for the job/client and not getting too ideological or caught up with fads. I’ll code in more or less anything that is the best solution for the client and pays my exorbitant rate
      That may be so, but I bet his dad is bigger than your dad!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        I'm busy writing a plug-in for Eclipse, when all of a sudden, Java debugging stops. The log shows the error:

!MESSAGE Unable to find location of java.lang.Thread.setName() in debuggee JVM, for type java.lang.Thread

Tried restarting, rebooting... but no joy. Any ideas? (Note, as I'm developing a plug-in for Eclipse, I can't use another better IDE).
        Sorry I missed this one,

You want to reconcile your JDKs. Make sure eclipse and the process you are running under eclispe are the same java. It will be a JDK issue,

My main gig is java, and I've used eclipse since 2003, eclipse jut got really unstable after JDK9. VSC for me now.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          Sorry I missed this one,

You want to reconcile your JDKs. Make sure eclipse and the process you are running under eclispe are the same java. It will be a JDK issue,

My main gig is java, and I've used eclipse since 2003, eclipse jut got really unstable after JDK9. VSC for me now.
          I've entirely removed oracle Java from my system. I've reinstalled eclipse and switch to the openSDK "SAPMachine" - which is what they use for developing the ADT tool, for which I'm creating a plugin. But today is a public holiday, so tomorrow I'll see what happens.

Comment

You wanna nail down the java JDK before eclipse starts...

eclipse.ini - Eclipsepedia

...with the -vm option. You are probably running under some desktop JRE that Ellison has injected into your PC. 90% of the time that fixes eclipse issues.

but.. java is trying to kick off a thread, and failing. You should try running eclipse as admin.

Comment

Bung in SAPMachine, reset the environment variables and everything sprang into life. No need for admin rights to run eclipse - although I needed them to set the environment variables how I wanted them.

So, thanks to all.

Next bit - from the eclipse editor, in the launch method of my implementation of org.eclipse.debug.ui.ILunachShortcut - how do I get the name of the object being edited and what kind of object it is from editorPart?

Comment

Working...
              X