• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

home office refresh

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

home office refresh

With having so much time on my hands lately it got into my head that I need a new desk setup.

I have mac, linux pc, windows pc, enterprise grade server with raid 10 for NAS. Pleased but not entirely happy with any of them...
    So over the past week I've listed everything on ebay and selling them one by one.
    From time to time you do get to start on a new slate: Dreading memories of endless clicks on Jobserve, hope to go away with the mouse.

So am thinking of getting the new 2020 MBP, 16'' + 2 x LG UltraFine 5K.
    I had the Mid-2015 MBP which someone bit my hand for it, and I was pleased with it as well tbh but it was struggling sometimes with a 2 x 2K monitors. (Dell U2514H).
    I might keep a windows machine but I think macOS is the best of all worlds for me and just build a minimalist setup around that.

So the question comes now:
    Does anyone know any good discounts for Apple? Do IPSE still do that Perkbox?

- I know about the student discount and could ask a cousin but not quite sure if to try it. Any advice against?

Also I'd like to get it on the company and make it a finance deal for the next 2y, anyone that has any experience with that?

Maybe wait a bit for gov to reduce VAT but will see.

Perkbox There is an 'up to' 10% discount on Apple products.

The VAT rate is irrelevant if you're putting it through your company as you'll be able to reclaim it regardless. Not 100% sure all companies will pass on the full rate cut.

When I got my XPS13 from Dell, I got it on a PayPal 0% over 12 months offer. The finance is personal but the Dell invoice is all made out to my company. I set the loan up as a short-term liability in my books and transfer the monthly payment from myCo's bank.
    Last edited by ladymuck; 24 June 2020, 18:13.

Comment

Find a child or friend with an academic email address and use theEDUstore - MacBook Pro.

Either that or see whether apple will offer you a lease agreement I know my company could have one if I wanted one.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        Find a child or friend with an academic email address and use theEDUstore - MacBook Pro.

Either that or see whether apple will offer you a lease agreement I know my company could have one if I wanted one.
        I have an Open University email address. Not sure if part timers are deemed to be 'proper' students

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          I have an Open University email address. Not sure if part timers are deemed to be 'proper' students
          From the FAQ Students of Higher Education at a UK institution, and staff at any level of Education are eligible to make personal purchases on theEDUstore. Simply register on the site with your .ac.uk or .sch.uk e-mail address.

I know contractors at Universities who have used the discounts in the past.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

From the FAQ Students of Higher Education at a UK institution, and staff at any level of Education are eligible to make personal purchases on theEDUstore. Simply register on the site with your .ac.uk or .sch.uk e-mail address.

I used to have an Imperial email address too but that gig ended a long time ago and they were very quick to shut down my account.

Comment

I used to have an Imperial email address too but that gig ended a long time ago and they were very quick to shut down my account.
              Yes, my account at Ye Newe Sloughe of Desponde shut down at Midnight on the day I "retired" (was made redundant thanks for the cash).
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Was looking at some of the courses on OU to register but not quite sure if they give the .ac.uk email with it.
                Has anyone figured it out?

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
                  Was looking at some of the courses on OU to register but not quite sure if they give the .ac.uk email with it.
                  Has anyone figured it out?
                  Err...

Saying that, at some of the prices they charge for their courses, you'd have to want to do the course as it's rather an expensive way to get discount on an Apple product.

Comment

Working...
                  X