• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Using a Raspberry Pi as All-in-one pc?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using a Raspberry Pi as All-in-one pc?

7yr old daughter is currently using an i3 Lenovo V110 laptop for school work, so she uses google classroom, YouTube and vedamo virtual classroom.

The laptop and its webcam are just too slow, non 1080p screen resolution, screen too dull and I would prefer her on a pc monitor for the sake of her eyesight and posture for.

Rather than buying another laptop, I was toying with the idea of buying a raspberry pi 4B (4gb/8gb) to run a light weight linux distro. I can then bolt this to the back of a PC monitor with a Logitech Webcam.

Any chance the mentioned apps above will run very well on the Pi or it's just wishful thinking?

I know I could just install the linux disto as dual boot on the Lenovo ....... but could do without the bulk of the laptop on the same table...

You lots dream up a lot of weird things.

16-inch MacBook Pro - Space Grey - Apple (UK)

Stop being a tight weird techie!

Comment

I have tried a Raspi4 running a Linux Distro and it was too limiting, to be honest. Lagging, speed - the experiment was interesting, however! It is now my "Pihole".

I think that a Chromebook would be the perfect solution...an i3 is still £450-500 though.
      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Buy Raspberry Pi for yourself to play with as I see there is an itch and get a normal laptop that will perform tasks thrown at it with ease. Nothing worse than being constantly frustrated because something is slow...

Comment

I guess the question you have to ask yourself is what price do you put on your daughters education?
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

An 8gb pi is about £75, plus another £15 for the case and £10 for the power supply. Then you'll need a £10 cable and a £40 SSD becuase running an OS off of a SD card is too slow.

I was recently thinking of the same thing but once the costs started adding up it seemed less like a good deal. Then I just managed to see a desktop that someone was selling on Nextdoor for £35 that's reasonable spec. I think you can do better used if you keep your eyes open.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              You lots dream up a lot of weird things.

16-inch MacBook Pro - Space Grey - Apple (UK)

Stop being a tight weird techie!
              Maybe I should get her 2 Apple pro display monitors as well.

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
              I have tried a Raspi4 running a Linux Distro and it was too limiting, to be honest. Lagging, speed - the experiment was interesting, however! It is now my "Pihole".

I think that a Chromebook would be the perfect solution...an i3 is still £450-500 though.
              well I guess the Pi is out of the question for school work then

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
              Buy Raspberry Pi for yourself to play with as I see there is an itch and get a normal laptop that will perform tasks thrown at it with ease. Nothing worse than being constantly frustrated because something is slow...
              Some element of truth there. I have a rarely used 3d printer . I have been considering a Pi for it but can't justify it. That where the idea for an all-in-one came from

Comment

You don't want to buy a pi at 100 quid so have to try and use your daughters education as justification? Jesus man, what's wrong with you?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  You don't want to buy a pi at 100 quid so have to try and use your daughters education as justification? Jesus man, what's wrong with you?
                  Having the money to buy something because it's inexpensive is not reason enough to just spend.

Anyway, after a closer look at the processes running on the laptop, Lenovo, McAfee and teams software appear to be consuming the lion share. I replaced the drive with a spare SSD and a windows 10 clean install. That seams to have resolved the sluggishness experienced. I also noticed that keeping the laptop closed while connected to a monitor results in a 1080p resolution there than the laptop 1366.

One thing still remains which is a frequent wifi disconnection which has always plagued the laptop since we bought it last year so not sure if its the built in wifi card or a driver issue

Comment

Are you not worried about your kids friends bullying her ? "A Lenovo I3 ? I thought you said your dad was a contractor...."
                    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
                    X